View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Hell I'll play. And these are all plays I have personally invested in, so my money is where my mouth is so to speak. Dont take my advice or you will go broke.

1) Cummins (CMI) This is a play against QS pick of Caterpillar in a way. CAT recently announced a pull out of the on highway engine market leaving Cummins as the only independent engine manufacturer in the world for on highway applications meeting EPA standards. They are a traditionally liquid company and while a series of recent job cuts seem disastrous it appears they are staying ahead of the curve as opposed to chasing it.

Stock is trading at 24.52 today when as recently as August it was in the 70s. I look for a mid yer rebound and this stock to be in the 50s by year end.

2) Pepsico (PEP) Just a solid value play in my book. Their drink brands, snack food products and fast food business are near recession proof. Sure they are down like every stock but I look for huge returns for year end.

Trading today at 51.10 near a 52 week low I think this stock sees 75 before it sees 40.

3) Research in Motion (RIMM) Despite blackberry taking a beating to the Iphone and Googles latest greatest this stock continues to have ridiculous statistics. With Verizon now pushing the blackberry, as people begin to crunch home budgets I look for them to disconnect home phones and maybe even GASP give up home internet...why not if you can carry both with you?

Today its 45.10. While I dont see the quick run I see in my last 2 the dividend will help offset modest incremental gains. Still I see this stock pushing 60 by years end.

4) Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Not even Obama will keep folks from getting sick. And this is the BEST drug company on the market, another recession proof industry.

Trading today at 22.20 I think this stock hovers on the high 20s maybe bumping 30 by years end.

5) General Electric (GE) With a company this diverse its almost like owning a mutual fund. Jack Welch may be moved on, and Jeff Immelt may have enemies in every corner, but this giant is just too big. I mean seriously when else can you simultaneously buy Aircraft engines and medical imaging equipment?

Its 14.10 today, I jumped in right at 13.00 in mid december. I plan to hold until ~16 and Ill take my profit then...if it drops Ill keep right on holding.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-14-2009 at 09:36 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote