View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
revrew
Team Chaplain

Fresh Start Challenge - House Rules FOF that really work

Still playing with FOF 2k7 (haven't shelled out for the new one yet), but y'all may nonetheless find this interesting: a set of house rules that maintains an IRL feel and is actually challenging.

Truthfully, this one has been kicking my butt (even with 2k7!) on multiple (failed) attempts.

Now, I have no interest in playing with house rules that are just arbitrary, that have no basis in a feasible narrative. Not being allowed to trade or renegotiate contracts or any other such construct just sucks the fun out of it for me. I want to be able to imagine the story and make it feel realistic.

Now, I've developed fantastical scenarios before (such as my "Des Moines Dragons" dynasty) where a crazed owner will only sign players from his home state, or other such bizarre rules, and those can be fun in a whimsical way, but this one requires only the game engine's constructs and a believable scenario to make FOF tough again.

Here's the narrative behind the "Fresh Start Challenge":

It's 2010. The Jacksonville Jaguars stink as usual, have lost their fan base, and a new owner has purchased the team. But this new owner is only interested in one thing - money.

He's decided to move the team to L.A., and he wants a ring and, more importantly, he needs a new stadium, but most of all, his credit is maxed out, and he needs the team to turn a profit.

He's hired you to G.M. this squad. Win eventually, build him that stadium, but most importantly: Never, ever, ever lose money - or you're out of a job.

It doesn't sound that tough. But put into place the following rules, and resist the temptation to sign that free agent, because - I've discovered - you're going to have to stay about $60 million UNDER the salary cap, and that's just painful. Sometimes the temptation ... is just ... too ... much ... and suddenly, you're fired.

So here's how to take on the challenge:

1. Move the Jaguars to Los Angeles through the Global Game Options menu and city affiliation (I like to rename them the "Lobos")

2. Let them play their last, miserable season without you, coach doing everything on autosim, sim the season.

3. Take over in the offseason, rebuilding the team with the following goals, settings and restrictions

Goals:
a. Save enough cumulative profits to build a state-of-the-art stadium with no public contribution
b. Win a SuperBowl
Settings:
Cap Range: 28-80
Injury: 150
Wall Street, no firings
Restrictions
a. In no offseason may the price of any ticket (in any section of the stadium) be raised by more than 10% (this eliminates the easy, jack up the luxury box price "cheat").
b. In no season (except the first, in which the Jags limp to an end) may you fail to make a profit. Lose money in any season and you immediately lose the challenge.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.

Last edited by revrew : 09-02-2014 at 09:09 PM.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote