View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
revrew
Team Chaplain

Chronicling my 8th try - which had more success - will reveal why this is such a difficult challenge:

Step 1: Load a reboot where LA is in a high growth area
Step 2: Sim season, full auto
Step 3: End season, on to next, my first as GM - The Jags finished 8-8! This time around, hopefully the draft won't kill us with big signing bonuses.
Step 4: Cheaper, but capable staff
Step 5: Summer league a fella, but in this reboot, I'm going to resist franchising either of our stud LBs. Letting them both go will kill my defense, but will save over $5 million.
Step 6: In this reboot, expensive DE Aaron Kampman is an uberstud, creating a trade market. Awesome. Now to find some capable but cheap players ...
Trade executed with Denver to bring WR Eddie Royal, Punter Britton Colquitt and a future draft pick. Role players, but good 'uns.

Step 7: Release the bums - big ticket players like David Garrard, Daryl Smith and more are sent packing to avoid big salaries.

Step 8: Trade market? It looks like we may be able to get a solid WR in the draft, so we go looking for a QB. Pittsburgh's Dennis Dixon looks pretty serviceable, so we work out a trade.

Step 9: FA signings (all players signing for less than $1 mil in signing bonus, most for less than $300,000)

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (19/30) cheapest mentor on the market
RT Jonathan Scott (37/52) decent backup, cheap and affinity match
OLB Zak DeOssie (45/58) well-rounded, will likely start at SLB
SS Melvin Bullitt (42/44) I think he's actually going to creep, and he's a mentor to boot.
OG Davin Joseph (43/43) We're getting very lucky with young mentors.
DE Victor Abiamiri (42/63) We may have gotten a steal here.
TE Dante Rosario (49/52) Fan Fave and another starter for cheap.

We're still a very weak team, but this was an excellent crop of cheap FAs.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote