View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The Lost 1976 Game Reports - Non-Canon

-----

Excerpt from BBC Nightly News, Sunday September 26 1976

REPORTER: Today saw the first ever home game at Wembley Stadium for the new London Monarchs team. And although we...I mean, they lost 29-10 to the Baltimore Colts, the team won over many new fans with their attractive style of play, even if most didn't know what was happening half the time. Here's more....

----

Journal of Jack Hayden, GM of the London Monarchs
October 3 1976

Loss 7-44 at San Diego. Warm day. We scored first on opening possession through Marcos Will, 8 yard reception from Blundin. At 7-0, thought we would hang tough with Chargers. Not to be. Fouts nearly perfect (21/24-259 for four scores), Blundin turned the ball over twice in reply. Offensive line leaked like a sieve, and we couldn't get to their QB in reply. Jet lag starting to be a problem, game started at 8pm British time, blistering sun here. Longest trip we'll do this year. Heard later our 7-44 loss wasn't the worst of the day, the Bucs got a mighty 0-61 beating in Pittsburgh. Who do we play next? Pittsburgh. Shit.

====

"It's a little disappointing, I suppose. Pittsburgh are one of the very best teams in the NFL, you saw what they did to Tampa Bay last week, but not even the Bucs gave up five touchdowns in one quarter. I'm grateful, I suppose, to our defense for finding three turnovers in that half, but we also have to remember that the Steelers played all their reserves in that second half. 35-9 looks and sounds good, but it's not really, not for us." - Quarterback Mitch Blundin at the post-game press conference, Wembley Stadium, October 10 1976.

====

Newly acquired running back Cliff Taylor, playing his first game for the Monarchs, made as many yards in his first game as London had made in total for the first five games of the year. But his 89 yard contribution wasn't quite enough as Houston was able to hold on to a 13-9 lead at home.
- The Times

====

"Yeah, that one hurt a lot. One point losses in any sport hurt. Soccer, darts, American football. The manner of defeat hurt more than the loss though, y'know? We lost that game twice. We lost it with the safety, and we lost it on the last drive." - Head coach KC Beckam speaking after Cleveland beat London 25-24 at Wembley Stadium.

====

It's not all bad. We have by far the toughest schedule of any of the new teams thus far. And Miami are still unbeaten in 1976. They had an unbeaten season some years ago, they could well do it again. Putting up 31 points in one quarter against the Monarchs is probably par for the course for them. Heads up! Better days are ahead!
Monarchs Supporters Club president Jack Schitt in a memo to fans.

====

Excerpt from the journal of Jack Hayden, London GM
November 7 1976

Cincinnati today. Is it possible for a loss to feel like a win? 26-0. They're stil unbeaten, and we have now lost eight in a row. Defense stood up today, with four takeaways. If only we could get our offense sorted out.

Our scouts say there are a couple of decent running back options out there. Ricky Bell from USC, Tony Dorsett from Pittsburgh. Tony Reed is another name out there, from Colorado. We may be looking at a top three pick at this rate, although Barcelona and Mexico City are still to crack a win in 1976.

====

Press Conference following Dallas's 34-6 win over London at Wembley Stadium, November 14 1976

REPORTER: Blundin didn't get the start today. Any reason?

BECKAM: We wanted to get a good look at William Hill. It's unfair to compare Hill to an absolute superstar like Roger Stabach, but we're happy with his performance today. No turnovers, no mistakes.

REPORTER: Also no touchdowns.

BECKAM: Well, that too.

REPORTER: Any comment on rumours that your position is under review for 1977.

BECKAM: Ah, no comment.

====

As the Baltimore Colts strode off the field of Memorial Stadium, the first crowned division champions of 1976, it was clear that the difference between them and their vanquished opponents was like comparing a handclap to a thunderclap. - Excerpt from NFL Films Baltimore Colts 1976 review.

====

BECKAM: This is the only time I'm going to comment on this topic. Mr Rozelle set up our franchise, the Mexico franchise, the Barcelona and Toronto franchises, set them all up to fail. It was a calculated and cold act of football assassination. Not only do our boys have to fight and scrap just to lose by 30 points each week, we have to fight this perception from the American media that they aren't even trying. Let me tell you something. There are 53 men downstairs all exhausted. They're heartbroken. They pour their heart into everything they do and they're just as disappointed to lose 3-35 to the Giants as they anyone would be. But Mr Rozelle really needs to think about how he can better support the international franchises, otherwise we will quickly go the way of the dodo.
Press Conference, Wembley Stadium, December 5 1976.

====

BLUNDIN = BECKAM'S BLUNDER
Sign spotted at Wembley Stadium, December 12 1976

As Mitch Blundin fell to the turf, two yards short of a first down, a cacophony of celebration erupted from the opposite sidelines. Yellow and red helmets were tossed in the air as Barcelona took the obligatory game-ending knee and closed the chapter on a 20-12 win. They didn't so much win the game as London lose it - the only two touchdowns of the game were scored on a punt return and an interception. Now the 12 game losing streak of the Spanish side was over. Coincidentally, it was a streak that the Monarchs now equaled themselves.
- Excerpt from "One Season: The International NFL and 1976"

=====

Press Conference following Toronto's 24-17 win over London at the Skydome.

BECKAM: Are we tanking? Are we tanking? I take offense at that question. You saw a great game of football tonight between two desperate teams. It was a great game last week too, and this was no different. The difference between our effort now and our effort earlier in the season is zilch, nada, nothing, zero. Having said that, same old story, interceptions and special teams cost us dearly.

=====

Press Conference following Houston's 11-6 win over London at Wembley Stadium.

BECKAM: You're the same journalist that asked the tanking question last week, aren't you? What's your name? Clarkson? Well, let me tell you something Clarkson - that was some [expletive deleted] effort tonight to hold the [expletive deleted] Oilers to no [expletive deleted] touchdowns and a five [expletive deleted] point [expletive deleted] win. Let me [expletive deleted] tell you something - you [expletive deleted] wouldn't know [expletive deleted] from [expletive deleted] sugar. [expletive deleted] off and let the real [expletive deleted] men discuss football. [expletive deleted] .

=====

Press Conference following London's 37-6 win over Barcelona at Camp Nou.

BECKAM: Excuse me one minute gentlemen. [Opens beer and takes a drink]. That's the way to finish a season. That's the way to finish a tough season. I'm mighty proud of our young men. Would I like to come back next year? Sure. My family is in England now, my neighbours are English, my friends are English, my employer is English. Of course, I'll wait to sit down with Mr Hayden and we'll see whether we agree on the future path of our side.

REPORTER: Was there any consideration given to draft strategy before today's game?

BECKAM: [Audible sigh]. No. And as it turned out, all four international sides finish on two wins for the season, if I'm not mistaken. So you're right in one sense, we could have turned up today and did [expletive deleted] all and earn a number one pick, but we'd lose the respect and goodwill of all our fans who have seen us bust our guts for the first fifteen games. Now we might pick as low as fourth? Oh well.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote