View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Rawhide
High School Varsity

We keep our staff intact for 1979. Nine teams change their head coaches. The candidate for our position in 1978 (when we were contemplating releasing KC Morton) has since signed on as the Huskies' new head coach.

We can make just 11 free agent offers, with a rating cap of 44 for defense and 43 for offense. With the 12th overall pick, it looks being a consolidation year as far as roster management is concerned. There is a home-run prospect at the top of the draft board, and it seems Barcelona will pick a quarterback for the second year in a row. This particular selection could make life VERY tough for us for the next ten years though.

11 original Monarchs from 1976 are still on the roster. The worst-rated of these is RDE Burnell Bullard (29/29), who is owed $3m over the next three seasons. He has been hamstrung (pardon the pun) with injury since he got his pay day. He's cut.

We need better play from our backfield. Jim Jodat isn't really suited for the starting role. We sign Mike Thomas (40/40) from the Redskins, and Lynn Boden (43/43) from the Lions to bolster our line.

On the defensive side of the ball, Brison Manor (43/43 - Bears), Cleveland Elam (44/44 - 49ers) and Bernie Jackson (42/42) are our major additions.

Top Ten Free Agent Moves (as per Grey Sheet)
FL Johnny Rodgers (52/52) - San Diego ---> Washington
LDT Jim Bailey (51/51) - Atlanta ---> Green Bay
RDE Brison Manor (43/43) - Chicago ---> London
RT Bob McKay (40/40) - New England --> Detroit
NT Cleveland Elam (43/43) - Detroit ---> London
NT Earl Edwards (39/39) - Cleveland ---> Mexico City
RDE Mack Mitchell (38/38) - Cleveland ---> Seattle
RB Mike Thomas (40/40) - Washington ---> London
RB Stan Fritts (38/39) - Tampa Bay ---> Philadelphia
LDE Walt Patulski (37/37) - Baltimore ---> New Orleans

I resolve that if the Dragons do indeed pass on the 'can't-pass' quarterback prospect, I will move heaven and earth to move up into the second slot to grab him.

1.01 - Barcelona Dragons - RB Ottis Anderson (52/62)

Madness! The Dragons already have Tony Dorsett, rookie of the year, on their roster.

We urgently hit the phones to the Aztecs, who hold the second overall pick. We are able to work out a deal, with Emmett Buckner (44/44), two firsts and two seconds making their way to Mexico City. In return, we get the second overall pick in the 1979 draft.

Welcome to London, Joesph Clifford Montana Jr.

1.02 - London Monarchs - QB Joe Montana (31/73)
1.03 - San Francisco 49ers - SLB Joel Williams (43/70)
1.04 - Toronto Huskies - QB Phil Simms (17/47)
1.05 - New Orleans Saints - QB Steve Dils (14/53)
1.06 - Los Angeles Rams - QB Jack Thompson (10/43)
1.07 - Atlanta Falcons - RT John Giesler (43/60)
1.08 - Philadelphia Eagles - LCB Dwayne Woodruff (36/58)
1.09 - New York Jets - TE Kellen Winslow (49/58)
1.10 - Cincinnati Bengals - RB James Owens (31/41)

The rest of our draft pans out this way:

3.10 - London Monarchs - CB Donald Sykes (18/37)
4.13 - London Monarchs - SE Drew Hill (28/44)
5.12 - London Monarchs - FS Brenard Wilson (20/26)
6.11 - London Monarchs - RB James Mayberry (20/22)
6.21 - London Monarchs - LDE Jim Ramey (12/27)
7.10 - London Monarchs - LCB Craig Henderson (6/7)

Gee there is a lot of quality at the bottom of the draft!

After our draft is over, we send MLB Tom Ruud to the Falcons for a scrub and a fifth rounder in 1980.

Pre-Season
Lost 7-34 at Los Angeles
Won 29-18 v Detroit
Lost 20-24 v St Louise
Won 13-10 at Chicago

For the first time, we aren't ranked 32nd going into the new season! Everyone is still looking up at the Steelers, who are ranked 26 points superior to the second-placed Chargers.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote