View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure most of you have the Indonesian domestic football structure committed to memory(who wouldn't), but being the neophyte that I am I had to look a few things up.

INDONESIAN DOMESTIC STRUCTURE

Top Tier: Super League(22 clubs, 24th-ranked domestic league in Asia). The top two qualify for something called the Asian Confederation Cup, the bottom four are relegated to ...

Second Tier: Premier Division(48 compete in three groups of 16. 28th in Asia). Top two in each group qualify for Second Phase, a playoff system to determine who gets promoted to the Super League. The bottom two in each group have the ingnominy of playing the next season in ...

Third Tier: First Division. Ah, that's where I'm headed. First Division sucks a lot more, 80th in Asia. Another 48 clubs here, divided into four groups of in this case 12 each. Similar to the level above, the top pair in each group are promoted while the bottom pair in each group are relegated ... except there is an asterisk there. Two the groups, C and D(we're in the latter) only have one club relegated to the predictably named Second Division. Why, I don't know. But I'll take the gift as it gives us more room to stay in the division.

Still, this makes me the head man at one of the top 118 clubs in Indonesia, right? Well, not so much. To begin with, Indonesian football exists, but there isn't much else positive you can say about it. The national team is presently ranked near the bottom among the world's competitors. Worse yet, while there is not a single First Division club that is more lowly-regarded than Persigubin, there are two dozen from Second Division that are considered better than us as well.

Put it all together, and I am now responsible for the 144th-best club in the 170th-ranked country(out of 209). If you can't go up from there, I don't know where you can go up from.

Persigubin Club Facts

Founded in 2003, they are heading into their 11th season of play -- there's not a lot of history here. Their greatest claim to fame was making the Second Phase in 2010, only to finish last in their group and stay in the division. They are a fully-professional club, but have only a Local reputation due to their lack of actually accomplishing anything, ever, and short history of existence.

Moreover, we have a financial rating of 'Insecure', which is nice way of saying we're losing money hand over fist with no end in sight.

Wage Budget: 34.06M/wk., of which 33.76m is presently committed. There's not a lot of wiggle room.
Transfer Budget: none
Value: 50M
Balance: 201.3M debt
Sponsorships: General 297.0M, uniform 92.83M.
Stadium: The club is so new they haven't bothered to name it, and there's no information on it(blank Facilities tab).
Season Tickets: 62
Scouting Range: Southeast Asia, plus Cameroon, Liberia, South Korea, and Brazil. This is all rather hilarious considering the First Division requires that all registered players for league matches be Indonesian. Even if I signed someone from those other countries, they wouldn't be able to play.

Board Expectations

First Division -- Mid-table
Indonesian Cup -- 'Be competitive', whatever that means. They've made it clear they won't be judging us on the Cup, but want the focus soley on league play.

STAFF

President -- Wayhu Fadli
Assistant Coach -- Purba Jeffery Bob(you can't make these things up), 52 yo, very high marks in adaptability, determination, working with youngsters. 550k
Head of Youth Development -- Deni Saputro(500k, 41). Amazing at working with youngsters. Problem is, except for some minor ability in defense, he can't really teach them to do much of anything. So they'll listen to him tell them all he knows, and then when he's done that, they'll pretty much be the same as they already were. Super. Not to mention that we don't actually HAVE any youngsters for him to teach ...
Head Physio -- Surya Matui(500k, 29) -- Barely enough skill to deserve the title of physio.
Chief Scout -- Agung Sukma(35, 500k). He's the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen me some crappy scouts. Heck, I might be almost as good as this guy ... yep, he's really THAT bad.

National Teams

USA -- I still want to keep tabs on how we're doing back in the states, even though I hope I don't see it again anytime soon. They're up to 16th, an impressive 20 spots better than at the beginning of the year, and with two games left in the North American group have qualified for the World Cup. So far, so good.

Indonesia -- Here, they didn't come close, knocked out early in Asian qualifying. There's nothing to look forward to until the AFF Championship at the end of next year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote