View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #23
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

CONTRACT RENEWALS

With the six-month mark approaching on a number of guys I had to make some decisions. The following are up at the end of June ...

DC Sutiono(presently on 9M). He's been our best defender so far with 1 assist, started every match, and overall solid rating of 6.67. He also wants a raise to 9.75M which is obscenely beyond what we can afford. With our financial situation and the budget I've been given, anything past 4M would have to be a premium talent. I offer him the 4M and 1-year extension, he wants 9.25 at least. He's not getting it, so he's almost certainly going to be gone.

AMC Fabian Yogi(3.75M). Our top player as we all know, he has 3 goals and 3 assists in 8 games and is the quarterback of our counterattacking style. Says he's not really interested in coming back but he'll consider any fantastic offer. 4.5M with a 2-year extension? Nope, he wants 8M minimum. We just don't have it. We're averaging 4 freaking fans a match. Four. So unless the board is willing to pump in more money(they're not), say goodbye to Yogi. Makes me want to cry, but ...

ST Engel Engawin(3.5M) -- This one's interesting because he's 37 and won't be getting any better, but we have a club option for a 1-year extension. He leads the club with four goals so far this year, and unless he completely falls off the cliff(very possible) he's worth another year I think. Option exercised.

DC Rial Fitriandi(1.6M) -- He's not been as good as expected this year, the odd man out in the defensive line even if he wasn't injured, but he's only 23 and we still think he's capable of being a star at this level. Our relationship is ... not the best, so asking him to reduce his demands is kind of pointless. He wants 3.25M, which he isn't going to get. My ceiling for him is 2.5M, he wants 2.75. I think we're overpaying at 2.5 as he strikes me as an underachiever with an attitude problem, but I can't budge him.

MLC Melianus Ningmabin(1.6M) -- Solid but unspectacular on the left side of the midfield. He wants a raise to 1.8 but is willing to add another year at his current wage.

DR Piterius Piter Urwan(1.6M) -- I like Urwan, aside from Sutiono he's our best defender. He's willing to shave 100k off his pay in exchange for a 1-year extension, so I take it gladly.

AMC/ST Yustinus Oropka(1.6M) -- He's depth only on a quality squad. It took some time but he also agrees to a 100k pay cut with a 1-year extension.

ST Decky Uropmabin(1.4M) -- 3 goals and 2 assists in six league matches, and only 25 years old. They say he's already peaked but still -- him we want to keep around as a solid attacking option and the only one if Yogi leaves and Engawin declines. He wants 2.5M, we talk about the club's finances. He thinks his demands are reasonable and he does have a point. We should be paying him more than the 1.5M for depth guys like Oropka/Ningmabin, he's a better player than they are. I try a max deal for 2M per. He ups his demand to 3.25M. Apparently he didn't like being asked to reduce it. I'm willing to give him the 2.5 but not much more. He won't take less than 3 so we are at an impasse for now. His contract isn't up till August so we'll revisit this a bit further down the line.

He's now ticked at me and doesn't think he wants to play for me anymore, so that decision may be made for me. Looking at it now it was clearly a mistake, but you gotta go with your gut.

GK Ferminus(1.4M) -- He's shown some progress and is a solid keeper for this level, and the lowest I can get him down to is 2.3M for 1 year(he doesn't want a longer deal). I take it.

DCR Ben Onisius Benoni Patay(1.3M) -- He's been underperforming so I want to keep him, but not if he wants a big raise. We settle on 1.7M, he wanted 1.9 but I didn't want to go quite that high.

MRC Patrick Adie(1.3M) -- We haven't seen that much of him, but enough to know that he's solid but not spectacular. Adie is 34, so I don't want to break the bank. After some haggling I convince him to add a year at the same minimal rate.

MC Frans Yarangga(1.3M) -- Our pit bull, he's the hinge from defense to attack. He's too aggressive sometimes -- ok, more than sometimes -- but I really like him. At only 26, he's definitely worth keeping around. He also wants 3.25M. I start off at 2.5, we settle on 2.75M. I tried for a longer deal but he would have none of it -- it's a doubling of his present salary, but he's worth it.

GK Roni Setia(1M) -- 17 years old, he looks to be our keeper of the future. We still think he's a star in the making and he has a club option for an extension. Easy choice.

DL Ignasius Kasipmabin(900k) -- Decent at best so far, the fans don't like what they've seen from him, and he's 36. In other words, I wouldn't mind another cheap year as a backup, but he's pretty much done. He knows it, and accepts an extension at 1M.

AMC/ST Pamungkas Yuli Sutanto(150k) -- His deal is good through 2015 already, and as he's not 17 yet we can't offer him a pro contract until summer. He's done nothing to dispel the impression that he's capable of being a very good player -- at the Premier Division level. But that's the future, he's not ready to take over for Yogi yet.

So most are willing to come back, but it looks like we will have some cash freed up by the loss of Yogi and Sutiono(about 13M between the two of them). Right now I'm inclined to give Uropmabin what he wants and then try to get a few more players in of the best quality we can. Cross that bridge a little later though.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote