View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #43
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

BOARD REVIEW

5.11 -- They called me in for a sitdown, and the rumors swirling were that I was about to be handed my walking papers. Officially, they describe my job as 'insecure' and felt I should have done slightly better. Specifically, there was disappointment that we 'barely managed to stave off relegation' -- I pointed out that we had 3x the points of horrid Persatu but the concern was we only managed to be better than them, not anyone else in the group. Additionally, fan discontent with the performance of our defensive line has reached the point where they think the situation is starting to get out of hand.

President Wahyu Fadli asked why the team performed so badly this year, and wasn't interested in the real answer(bad contracts, espescially that of Sutiono). It's not hard to understand their position, they certainly overpaid for what they got in terms of the product on the pitch this season. I chose the least excuse-making of the options presented to me, that it was my first job, and asked for time, essentially throwing myself on the mercy of the board.

They were not particularly gracious. It was made clear that they are losing patience with me, but are willing to extend my stay into the first few matches of the next year to give me a final chance to prove myself. They want nine points from our first five, but I was able to talk them down to a much more achievable six: nine from five would be a group-leading pace or close to it, not really reasonable in my view so I'm glad they were flexible.

It'll definitely be a stressful off-season, as my job now depends on hitting the ground running next year.

2013/14 SEASON REVIEW

Goals Scored: 29(10th in Group D)
Goals Allowed: 37(10th in Group D)
Avg. Attendance: 12(47th in First Division out of 48)
Annual Salary: 2.04B(28th in First Division)

We were equally poor on both ends of the pitch, which contributed to our inability to win back-to-back matches even once. A competitive salary, much of it mispent on players unworthy of their contracts, did not prevent this. We edged out Persinab(11) to avoid having the worst attendance in the tier, but it's worth noting that fifth-worst(44th) was 177, almost 15 times what we brought in. More than 80% of our season-ticket holders(65) didn't consider it worth making the trip on a consistent basis. It's hard to find words for such a deplorable situation.

Keepers

Ferminus(30, 2.3M) -- 6.68, 16 app, 26 conc
Setia(17, 1M) -- 6.63, 8 app, 10 conc

Both are quality for this level, Ferminus is expected to remain the starter and Setia the backup. We'll stay with them and I don't anticipate changes here.

Defense

DRC Ben Onisius Benoni Patay(28, 1.7M) -- 18 app, 6.39
DR Piterius Piter Urwan(31, 1.5M) -- 17 app, 6.62
DL Ignasius Kasipmabin(36, 1M) -- 14 app, 6.50
DC Sutiono(26, 9M) -- 22 app, 6.60, 2 as
DC Rial Fitrandi(24, 1.6M) -- 17 app, 6.25

One problem with Patay is we played him most at DR while he's best in the middle, but still he definitely underachieved compared to what we think he's capable of. Urwan is an excellent leader, too error-prone but overall the best of our returning defenders. Kasipmabin is hopefully purely depth next year.

Fitriandi's problem was making crucial mistakes. 5 errors leading to directly to a goal being scored were identified on our defensive line this year. He made all five of them. For that and other reasons, he will not be back. Sutiono's contract demands ensure that he's gone as well.

Among the three who have been resigned, I only consider Urwan reliable. We will need multiple good players here.

Midfield

MRC Patrick Adie(35, 1.3M) -- 14 app, 6.75, 2g
MLC Melianus Ningmabin(31, 1.6M) -- 20 app, 6.57, 1g/3a
MC Frans Yarangga(27, 2.75M) -- 20 app, 6.75, 1g/2a

Yarangga was very solid, despite being somewhat overaggressive. The other two are cheap and not complete embarassments, which is more than enough for me to keep them around. We have to find some kind of depth here, there are simply no options if one gets hurt.

Attackers

AMC/ST Fabian Yogi(29, 3.75M) -- 18 apps, 7.03, 8g/4a
AMC/ST Yustinus Oropka(28, 1.5M) -- 11 app, 6.53, 1g
AMC/ST Pamungkas Yuli Sutanto(16, 150k) -- 12 app, 6.70, 4g
ST Engel Ewangin(37, 3.5M) -- 19 app, 7.04, 7g/9a
ST Decky Uropmabin(25, 1.4M) -- 17 app, 6.93, 6g/5a

Losing Yogi and Uropmabin will definitely hurt. Ewangin is our best returning and was our best overall last year, but significant decline is expected in his game. He's probably not quite worth the 3.5M we're paying to bring him back, and I think this will be his last season. Time catches up with everyone. Sutanto is insanely cheap for being a decent weapon and borderline-ready to take over as the starting AMC, but we will definitely need more quality up front.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-04-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote