View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #391
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Big fan of the series so far, but I'm a little puzzled at this insane delay for the next book. Didn't he claim before Feast for Crows that he was basically splitting what had become on insanely massive book in to Feast for Crows and whetever the next one ends up being titled? If that's the case, it shouldn't take this long to get the next book out.

That's what he said when Feast was released. I actually think it may be in the book itself, how "Dance" was basically half-written.

It's pretty clear Martin is having a hard time tying all of his threads together and getting things moving again. "Storm" was a natural breaking point for a lot of what the first three books had set up. While there were still dozens of threads hanging, many were tied up.

He struggle mightily with "Feast" and since "Dance" is pretty much 1/2 of "Feast", I can see where he's having similar problems. "Feast" was all about setting up the pieces all over again. I imagine "Dance" will be more of the same, but zeroing in on the North and Dany as opposed to the Kingslanding, Dorne, and the Iron Men.

I think he had to go back and re-write a lot of what he thought he'd done. Remember, his initial plan following "Storm" was to have the next book start 4-5 years later. I'd imagine his decision to pick things up right after "Storm" changed things considerably.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-09-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote