View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #263
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

Bailey and Bear came home with their medals from the Northern Divisional Meet on Tuesday (4/16). Bailey had 4 Gold, 1 Silver, and 2 Bronze. She looked pretty Phelpsian with all of them around her neck at the same time. Bear was also very proud of his two (silver & bronze).

This was another difficult situation for the wife and me. We had to be complementary of the twins and their accomplishments, but once again Brett, who wants desperately to earn a year round medal, had to be reminded that he doesn’t have one. He pouted a bit, and it was obvious from his body language that it was a bitter pill to swollow. He even commented that "I never earned a medal when I was there age." (of course he conveniently forgets that he mailed in practice at their age and was only concerned about Breaststroke which clearly limited his opportunities to earn a medal. Plus he was swimming with Swim Atlanta and faced 3 times the number of year round swimmers that the twins faced at the Northern Divisional Meet)

Brett’s reaction…while it seems pretty childish for the 12 going on 13 year old, I think illustrates how difficult this situation is for him, he created his own “medal” from a note card and pen for the 200 Breast he won but was disqualified in earlier in the season. I really hope we can find an event this long course season that will be handing out medals (not ribbons) with a weak lineup of swimmers, and Brett can earn one this season. If he doesn’t get one this long course season, he won’t get one for quite a while. Once he ages up to 13, he’ll fall further behind the good swimmers, until he really hits his growth spurt.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote