View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #273
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Long Course Time Trials – RESULTS

Bailey

Woke up the morning of the race with a barky cough again, this is never a good sign…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1

200 Free – 3:12.95 – Bailey really doesn’t like the longer swims, but for the first time this weekend she really tried to push more in a race of this distance. She opened with a 1:25.04 and finished with a 1:31.43, for a personal best time of 2:56.47. She can still do better, but it is a start.

100 Back – 1:35.03 – Bailey got a bad start here and while she swam well, she really didn’t seem to have the burst she did at the end of the short course season in her back. I have a hunch that she was conserving herself a bit knowing that the 100 Fly and 200 IM next, and I can tell you, after looking at the short course pools all fall and winter, the long course pool looks very intimidating…She swam a personal best 1:31.73. I suspect she’ll improve on this a good bit throughout the season.

100 Fly – NT – I knew Bailey would swim well here, but I was concerned that there wouldn’t be anyone to push her. By being entered with a NT seed, she was in the first heat, which is usually kids that will have a hard time completing a 100 Fly without getting DQed. However, Bailey matched up with an old 12 year old we are familiar with from Summer League and Swim Atlanta. They were right next to each other and they had an awesome race. Taryn, took the early lead, but Bailey stayed on her hip, at the turn Bailey started to charge and by the 2/3 point on the back half, She had taken the lead, and Taryn started fading back. Bailey swam a 1:29.49, and she beat Taryn by 2 full seconds. Also she’ put herself in a position where she might be able to earn this cut before the end of July.

200 IM – NT – Bailey was still dealing with fatigue when this race started. While her fly was pretty, she wasn’t terribly fast with it, being around seventh out of the 10 racing to the wall on the opening leg. Back was good not great, Breast still needs work. She looked strong in the free, but it was too little too late at that point. Her time 3:23.93

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2

100 Free – NT – This was a poor swim from Bailey. She really wasn’t pushed by those around her, but she also didn’t seem to be into this race. Not sure if she was conserving for the 50 Fly, but I wasn’t impressed with the time or effort. She finished with a 1:20.37, I feel she really should be a 1:18 low without much problem. We’ll see where this goes in the next meet.

50 Fly – 43.40 – This was probably Bailey’s best shot coming in to get a State Cut in this meet, and she looked strong. For having just turned 11, she did extremely well finishing eighteenth with a time of 38.31, only 1 second from the cut. Also an interesting side note, she was only .2 of a second behind MK a Summer League teammate who is 12 and swims with Brett on the Region team.

50 Back – 45.85 – Bailey’s back here was a perfect illustration of why I felt she was conserving in the 100 back on day 1. She was fast in this one, with a strong kick throughout. She still had a poor start, which she’ll need to clean up, but she finished tied with MK, who is a very good back stroker, at 15 overall. Her time 40.67. This is also just 1 second from a state cut.

400 Free – NT – Mid distance swim, so clearly not on the top of Bailey’s favorite events. This one was pretty fun for me however, because due to the number of kids signed up, they ended up putting Bear and two other boys in the same heat with the girls, so Bear and Bailey raced (sort of, they were not close to each other in lanes, and Bailey was NOT going to beat Bear in this event). Boo started with a solid 1:30.38, then dropped to a 1:37.34, 1:37.06, and closed with a decent final 100 of 1:31.74. Overall time, 6:16.92
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote