View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #279
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Just curious, does Brett excel in arm pulls?

When I swam, I would be so slow on the kickboards, everybody, even the slowest people on the team, would lap me, but when we did arm pull drills, I would destroy everyone.

The complete inability to kick is what prevented me from being a good swimmer in terms of competitive times... well that and I never swam year-round.

Yep...in fact it is interesting. Back when we were with Swim Atlanta, they used to do pull sets, where the kids would put a pull bouy between there legs and just pull. When this happened Brett destroyed everyone in his group. Including boys twice his size and kids with sectional cuts. (Gold doesn't use pull bouys and they don't do just pull sets - says it is too hard on the shoulder, and judging from Bailey's problems at the start of the season, I have reason to believe Gold is right).

The bases of Brett's kicking problem comes from his ankles. He truely is a natural Breaststroker, as his ankles turn out: when he walks, when he sits, when he runs...doesn't matter. In fact, when he sits on the floor, rather than sitting indian style (what is was called when I was growing up), he sits on his knees with his feet by his hips flat on the floor. That's sort of difficult to describe, but you can think of it like this - you know the hurdler stretch, when you have the one leg folded back, he does this with both legs, only rather than having the top of the foot down, his side foot is flat on the ground (probably should get a picture to show you...it's unusual). From there his indifference with flutter kick caused it to get worse and he would cheat during all kick sets by mixing in Breast. He's working on it now, and he's a whole lot better, but he still has a ways to go.

Last edited by Breeze : 05-08-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote