View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 AM   #249
Izulde
Head Coach

Big things may be ahead for the company over the next year. We've brought in someone who has access to some considerable venture capitalists, and while we're not yet at the point of approaching them, we're planning a major office move by March, and are working on expanding our staff to take the business in a new, higher-level direction.

I'm also considering applying to a Masters program in Los Angeles for next fall, because while I've been doing well learning as I go in the trenches, I feel like getting a theoretical groundwork will make me that much more effective, and I'll get a chance to possibly strengthen our LA presence - something we've been wanting to do anyway. It's also a program with a concentration that deals specifically with the industry I'm working in right now, which is another important factor.

Whether this all pans out remains to be seen, obviously. But rather than shift to an agency now, as was my original plan back in the summer, I want to ride this wave and see where it goes. I mean shit, I'm one of the top people in the company right now, and if I jump ship now (if I could even get anything), while I would experience an immediate jump in financial security that would allow me to quit teaching after this semester, my earning potential would be capped off for the foreseeable future, and I'd have a far slower progression up the ladder - I mean, going from intern to Director in 2 months isn't something that can be topped, and realistically, I'd be looking at an associate position with an agency - starting off at the bottom. It'd be sacrificing long-term potential for short-term security, and in my mid-late 30s, even I'm still working poor, that's still young enough to where I don't need to make that tradeoff yet.

Besides, staying here longer will only add to my experience and accomplishments, putting me in a much stronger position if I ever do face a scenario where I need to leave.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote