View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #660
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The game world is well past this point(RG is underway as I write this) but I took note of the rankings so I could properly catch up the thread. At the quarter-pole of the season, here's how it stood.

Rankings Update

1. Mateo Kaspar(FRA, 25) -- 16,620

*Yawn*

2. Gillo Fangio(ITA, 26) -- 10,230

Fangio is slowly pulling away from the rest esp. Mooljee, and gaining on Kaspar. He's in no danger of catching him, but merely entrenching himself as the #2.

3. Prakash Mooljee(SRI, 29) -- 8,650

By year's end we may be talking about him being in danger of getting dumped out of the Top 4 as a worst-case. Looks like 3rd or at worst 4th through this season though. He continues to handle his business in the early rounds consistently and pretty routinely.

4. Guus Dircx(NLD, 24) -- 6,860

Still just barely staying in the Top 4.

5. Johnny Browne(USA, 28) -- 6,490

Browne has been consistent enough that you can't completely write off the possibility that he could catch Dircx again. Doesn't look likely though.

6. Martin Zarco(ESP, 25) -- 5,030

As ever, his season will be made or not in the coming clay campaign.

7. Sigmund Kronecker(DEU, 26) -- 4,415

Continuing a slow rise.

8. Ritwik Dudwadkar(SRI, 23) -- 4,410

Now that he's worked his way into the Top 8, he's got his sights set on a WTF qualification that shouldn't be too tense, and slowly working his way up.

9. Jake Jolland(USA, 27) -- 4,065

Don't expect anything more from him than this.

10. Ariel Borja(USA, 25) -- 3,065

Taking over the 'disappointment of the year' is this sinking ship. His turn I guess after doubles partner Janin had that role a year ago. Big thing to note here is the big gap between him and Jolland. A full thousand points. The first nine players here are probably the same guys all year long; this last spot could be a revolving door.

13. Ruben Piazzola(CHI, 23) -- 2,760

Best chance to crash the Top-10 party, depending on how many inroads he can make on the clay.

6(D). Anil Mehul(SRI, 38) -- 10,090. About 2k behind the top two doubles teams now, Mehul/Kroese appear to be in decline although it's too soon to be certain. Both of those above them are roughly in their prime(27-29 years old), and of course Anil's age is more of an issue each passing year. Might have just had a poor start to the year and bounce back though. We shall see.

3(J) Sushant Chiba(SRI, 17)

The doubles success has been just enough to keep him in the #3 spot for now, while Edleman runs away with the juniors top spot, easily crushing all opposition. I went back and looked up my previous players; the only one who finished the year in the Top 10 was Girish Girsh, who finished 7th. So this is a heck of a spot to be in by comparison. And of course Girsh was also my worst pro. Looking through the years at the top juniors players, some of them end up about peaking at 20th or so, some never got on the radar. A few were excellent, but it's definitely no predictor of senior success in and of itself. More on this probably later in the year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote