View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #679
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

September

World Team Cup

Our quarterfinal matchup with Mexico, possibly the worst nation to ever get this far, ended as expected: a 5-0 wipeout. Didn't lose a set until the final day, when Cristian Castegali pushed Dudwadkar to the limit. Elsewhere the big news was Kaspar pulling out; he's played a lot of matches but I still think it was a mistake. That made things easy for Germany, who ran over France in another 5-0 score. Things were much closer on the bottom, with Spain and the US moving on. All the favorites. Clay was our ground for a repeat of last year's tight final against the Germans, and it was of questionable benefit to both sides. Kronecker would be a tough out, but their #2, Stefano Espinoza, would struggle and we should handle him. One win against Sigmund or a win in doubles should be enough I figured a competitive victory with 3-4 points for us.

Prakash Mooljee handled Espinoza in straight sets, but Sigmund Kronecker downed Dudwadkar 7-6(2), 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-4. Tough loss there as Ritwik played well enough to win. Doubles was tense as well, even after two sets but we pulled through in four, needing just one more win. It looked like Mooljee would get it for us, but he lost consecutive 7-5 sets in a razor-close rubber against Kronecker after taking the lead. Nearly identical stats in that one, but somebody had to come out on top. That left it all up to the younger man in a dramatic Friday affair. Ritwik Dudwadkar was sharp in a 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 win over Espinoza that left no doubt. Once again they were close, but we got through 3-2. The other semi was also on clay, benefitting Spain who beat the Americans 4-1 ... and drew the dirt again for the final. I'm not pleased with that. Zarco will be very tough, although I figure we should handle Santos. Most likely doubles will be the decider, and Benjamin Cordovez is one of the world's best so we'll have no edge there with Mehul. From here I honestly think it's a real 'pick-em' tie; we'd be favored on any other surface, but on clay it's going to take our best efforts.

Elsewhere ...

The WTC was plenty of matches for our senior players, while Sushant Chiba was back out there at the Osaka Mayor's Cup (JGA). He made the final in doubles and lost to Kutuzov in the singles quarterfinal, a solid showing. Stanley Edleman got a bit of revenge on Svajnovic for the USO result, winning after a poor start 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 to close the door strong and re-establish dominance ... at least for the time being.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote