View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #288
Radii
Head Coach

-- I decide to take part in media day, just to see if anything pops up at the last minute that I might want to get in on.

Contract Updates

Players who were lingering on amateur status who have agreed to some kind of deal in the hopes that they don't just walk away:

-- MC Mike Wilkins
-- ST Colin Cole
-- ST Patrick Ratzburg
-- AMR Adam Fisher
-- MC Jose Alejandro Tapia

All of these are either $120-$140/wk type deals, or appearance fee deals.

Friendly #3

We host CASL Elite, this isn't a league team, so I think they should be super weak and beatable. I start Tapia/Dempsey in midfield to see how that would look.

Its scoreless at the half, we aren't playing bad but aren't looking great either. I wait until the 60 minute mark to bring in all the subs. In the end we win but its not that pretty, Cole is fouled in the box in the 86th minute, Shakespeare hits the penalty (I had started Ratzburg/Navarro up front today, and Dempsey over Shakespeare).

Wake Forest 1 : 0 CASL Elite

-- The Transfer deadline comes and goes uneventfully. Only three transfers occur in Atlantic Coast Division 2, all free ones. None players that I would have been interested in.

-- The Detroit Arsenal, a team in the USL-Pro West league, makes an offer for DC Dan Hernandez. I decline of course, but that is 2 leagues above mine, so that's pretty impressive.

-- My assistant lets me know that 27 of my players are either on expired contracts or on contracts expiring this year. Whee.

Old North Cup Qualifying Round Draw

This is the cup for teams in North Carolina. We get a home match against the Twin City Patrol in the bottom tier. At this point of the 15 teams in the tournament there are 4 or 5 in tiers ahead of us, a couple in our tier, and most below. So we should expect to reach the quarterfinals most years, and the semifinals on occasion. Wilmington/Charlotte/Carolina are still light years ahead though so it really comes down to when you run into one of them.

Contract Update

MC Brendan Dempsey signs with the NC Fusion, a rival team in our league. I didn't realize I didn't necessarily have until the end of our trial period to make him an offer. I'll know next time, I probably would have taken a chance on him based on what I'd seen so far.

Friendly #4

We host CASL Chelsea, they're in the tier above us.

They're the better team for most of the match but we hang in there and don't allow anything. In the 81st minute we get a counter, Davidson hits it ahead to Navarro for an easy goal. In the 83rd minute Cole earns us a corner, Davidson takes it into the 6 yard box and one of their defenders hits it back into his own net.

Wake Forest 2 : 0 CASL Chelsea

AMR Adam Fisher was hurt at the end of the match, but nothing long term.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote