View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #68
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
How'd it turn out Deac? It's awkward now given the series delays, and I'm not even sure what genre I'd tab it in, but that's probably the first book I recommend to literally anyone until I understand their preferences. I don't think I've ever read another fiction book with a real plot that made me laugh out loud at dialogue multiple times.

I'll be honest - I could use less Shallan POV/Shadesmar & more Kaladin/Dalinar POV, but unlike every other author of an unfinished anthology I do believe he'll finish it & tie things up unless he dies unexpectedly.

I think I've said my thoughts on Rothfuss here before - book 1 was amazing, book 2 felt somewhat like he was biding his time, and the delay for book 3 makes me think (unlike Lynch with the Thorn of Emberlain) he never had a clue how to play it out, not that he isn't trying. It's the Meerenese Knot George Martin struggled with, except this is the actual ending, not some minor subplot.

I actually think it's more likely Martin writes the final book(s) now that Season 8 went so obviously poorly. He strikes me as a petty man who enjoyed the fame & attention but desperately wants credit, and he's now been given an opportunity to be adored again. Doesn't even need to change the broad plot strokes, just give the characters sensible motivation for their actions.

I'm still in the midst of Steven Erikson's 10 part (but finished!) Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first few were awesome, the world building is insanely deep, and my friend who read it fully through does say it pays off near the end, but man there's a lot to digest & it's a hump to basically start over with Book 4.

So far so good, Bishop. I've read a little more, but it is still pretty good.(Less than 100 pages)