View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #564
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Some would probably make more money in salary as employers tried to compete for workers (as they couldn't entice them with better health care options anymore).
But once the tax break for providing health care goes away and a single payer system exists, no company would provide health care anyone. So, it would be an equal playing field for all companies. The main reason employers cover 71% of employee health care premiums is because they get a tax break for doing so.

Quote:
And, I think we've gone over this, but it's better coverage, not worse. If you think single payer (or universal mandated non-profit insurance) health care is worse, we just don't even have the basic agreement to have a conversation on this.
Right now, people at the company I work for can have the plan I have:
Get paid $25 a month in your HSA to be on it (no premium)
Have a $2700 family deductible where once that is met, the plan pays 90% coinsurance across the board. There's also an out of pocket maximum of $7,000 (including deductible).

So, if you put $300 pre-tax in a medical savings account each month, you would have $3,600 at the end of the year (plus the $300 from the company). Even if you spent to your deductible, that would be an extra $1200 to cover the 10% coinsurance. We are by no means the only company to offer this plan (it's a pretty standard plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield of AZ).

But you are saying that increasing my (or any other of our employees) taxes for a single payer would get them a better plan than 90% coinsurance with a pre-tax cost of $3,600 a year? There's no way.

Quote:
I think you probably just need to come to the realization that the Democratic Party just isn't the place for libertarian ideas (and probably never has been). You may have had some of it in the Republican Party, but they decided they didn't care about that stuff either.
This gets back to my point of being a homeless voter with socially liberal and (somewhat) fiscally conservative leanings. There's definitely no space on the religious right republican side, but I'm always hopeful for a more moderate democrat (maybe I'm fooling myself here too).