View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
revrew
Team Chaplain

CHAPTER 4: The Yankee Purging

The hardest part of carrying out Jeffrey Davis' plan was the initial purging of Yankees from the team. I knew if I conducted a fire-sale trade bonanza, the other GMs would be on to me and give me rock bottom negotiation. I knew if I just gutted the team all at once, the fans would...

But there was my answer. The team had a new owner, a new city, and the Saints had stunk for years. It was time for a cleaning of the house. I would trade a few of the big stars that no one would understand cutting, and then I would just gut the team. There was no way I could trickle out a cutting of 35 players, so I determined to do it all in one shot and take the media hit once, rather than letting it drag on. Like Mike Ditka trading his whole draft for Ricky Williams, I was going to release 60% of the roster and be done with it.

Thankfully, a few of our key players were died-in-the-wool Southerners. QB Aaron Brooks and young LDE Charles Grant were Southerners, but most notably for the fans, stars RB Deuce McCallister and WR Joe Horn were going to stay as well.

I looked to trade away WR Donte Stallworth and RDE Will Smith early, before the cuts hit the fan, but most of the other Yankees weren't as popular with the locals. I had lucked out there.

With my plan in mind and my pride about to be buried right along with my public image, I began the purging...
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote