View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #719
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Not sure if you caught this or not, it was something that I was confused about when I first started reading, but based on what you wrote I wasn't sure.. The ideal cadence is as you say around 180 steps per minute. When you measure with a cadence sensor, your current average is 80, but that is just for one of your feet. So your current cadence is really 160 currently. You just would ideally want to get yours up to 90 on your sensor to be at the 180 steps per minute.

Even that is a little flexible though, as I'll run about 90-93 on my sensor (180-186 steps per minute) when I'm running fast pace. However when I slow down for easy pace, I usually fall into somewhere around 83-85ish instead. So I don't know that I treat it as an exact for easy pace runs, but on my intervals or race pace or tempo runs, etc I definitely try to make sure to hit my cadence.

HAH! you've just explained something important to me. I remembered using iSmoothRun for its cadence sensor but never really understood the number it was giving me since it was around 80 or so. I figured it just probably wasn't working right since it's was impossible in my mind that I would more than double my leg turnaround to make it close to being about good. Now seeing that I'm doing 160, I understand a bit more.

The whole discussion about strides and cadence has been very instructive. I used to run with long strides and was landing mostly on my heels. I have since shortened my strides but I see that I probably need to make it a bit shorter and have a faster leg turnaround...

FM