View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #155
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If the NCAA approves an extra year of eligibility for fall athletes (which sounds inevitable) and expands rosters that's a giant FU to spring sports.

Why? They did the same for spring athletes a few months ago.

If this plays out the way it did in the spring, who this really screws is HS juniors/seniors who will be scrambling to re-assess their commitments given the potential for an extra class of players on the roster/depth chart of the team they expected to join.

This happened in softball following the extra year of eligibility from the spring, where schools brought back their entire senior class plus had a signed class of freshmen coming in. That left the rising sophomores/juniors in a bad spot and a number of teams saw several players transfer out rather than compete with seniors who they thought were going to be gone.

But longer-term, the problem with 5 years of players on the roster is that after the 1st year, all of those roster spots are going to count against the scholarship cap, so you've got limited scholarships to offer to current HS players. There will be a lot of movement both in commitments and in current players in the "sandwich classes."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote