View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
All 85 of those guys are making money for the school?

You're not going to make more money by being less competitive.

Quote:
The shitty part to me is they've made these other sports so dependent on the football money that they have to cut them when there's no football.

That's almost every sport at every school in terms of dependence. Where you are in the debt cycle and the size of your reserve fund makes a big difference on the impact though. Iowa is on the wrong end of both of those, with a major debt load AND already depleted reserves.

In the past couple weeks, Arizona reported similar anticipated loss figures, despite deriving more revenue from basketball than football. With both wiped out, the scenario on the books is similar.

Wyoming noted that men's football & basketball produced roughly double the revenue of their 15 other athletic programs combined (and that those 15 run at a loss of around $2.5m a year). They staved off cuts for now thanks to savings on travel and the standard percentage salary cuts to staff.

Vastly different programs in scope and scale, similar situations.

Stanford cut 11 (of their virtually unmatched previously offered 36) programs last month.

Iowa isn't alone, they just happened to be next.