View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

JUST BEFORE THE DRAFT
The SB Champion Packers traded QB Aaron Rodgers to Oakland for QB Derek Carr and a first round pick. Crazy trade.

We make a move of our own, sending Rd 2 + 3 to the Giants for Victor Cruz. Cruz immediately becomes our primary receiver, a bail out type of guy who is great at those slants and short routes. I give up two good picks, but the draft is kind of a crap shoot and Cruz is a bonafide stud. Plus, we carry none of his bonus so releasing him will not cost anything in the future.

THE DRAFT
This draft is a funky one. We're sitting here with the third pick, and the top 5 projected are two safeties (of which we have 2 very good safeties), a tight end (ahem Jordan Cameron), a LT (our LT is servicable), and a RE (we just signed Hardy).

So great. Either I'm reaching on one of the receivers I really like - there are 3 bunched together projected to go 8,9,10 - or I am taking that left tackle.

But first I get on the proverbial phone and try to make some deals. Some of the guys I talked to are the typical guys you'd hate to talk to. Offering stupid trades, insulting offers as if I don't know what I'm doing. However, I almost pulled the trigger with the Browns, sending my 1.3 for his 1.10, 1.17 and future 1+4.... but he backed out right as the draft got underway.

So the draft starts, a CB goes first to Jacksonville, Tampa takes that RE 2nd and I'm on the clock. I have a choice to make. Do I grab what is probably a sure thing LT, or do I roll the dice and go for a 6'6" WR who is the 2nd best projected at his position?

This is Madden, baby. I take the WR - his name is Broderick Payne. As I said, 6'6 with decent ratings (79 ovr, 91 speed, 85 acc, 90 agi, 80's in all the catching categories), but the clutch part is that he has the 'superstar development' trait, which means he will progress quicker and more than your average guy. That's fantastic.

So now I have the offense set with him being able to lineup opposite Victor Cruz, and a big, looming RZ threat.

The other rounds are rather unremarkable. We misfire on our 4.3 taking LT Boris McCain (62 ovr). We get two decent OLBs in 5 and 6 with ROLB Bronson Austin, a hard hitting tackler and Mario Cates, a speedy cover backer. In the final round we get a pretty ho-hum CB.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote