View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Rescuing the Beautiful Game(FTG, Interactive)

First of all, if you haven't read larrymcg421's excellent dynasty then you're in the wrong darn thread. Do it now.

This is inspired by that. I'm always on the lookout for something that'll work for an interactive project; a game that allows for RP elements but doesn't make the readers & contributors do too much work. I think this should be a fun adventure with Football: Tactics & Glory, hybrid soccer and strategy game. I'll put up explanations of game concepts in the third post, and keep a running tally of participants in the second one.

Anyone who signs up will become a coach in a dubious experiment; a football club run on democratic principles. My hands are very much going to be off the reins in most aspects of this. We will succeed, or flounder, based mostly on the decisions all of you make. Make the RNG have mercy on our squad. They'll need all the help they can get. To begin with, I'll need the following information:

** Name -- What should I refer to you as(if different than your forum handle)

** Preferred Roster Assignment -- All coaches will be assigned a roughly equal number of players to handle. Choose Defense, Midfield, or Forwards, or be more specific if you wish. Accomodating everyone precisely is not guaranteed or even likely, but I'll do the best I can. Assignments will also vary as people join and leave the thread, naturally.

** Starting Nation Vote -- Five choices here. I'd like to get this going in a few days, and I don't have a great criteria for picking the starting spot. I can tell you we are going to Europe; there's 32 nations there, twice that of the American and Asia/Oceania theatres combined. Additionally, almost all of the top nations are there. Australia is close and Brazil is as strong as these, but that's about it. So choose from the following options(logos shown below), listed in alphabetical order. Choose wisely; we'll be looking at this nation, club, and logo for many years. The names and appearances of the players will also be affected.

** England(Chesterfield)
** France(Thonon Evian)
** Germany(Stuttgarter Kickers)
** Italy(Cavese)
** Spain(Cacereno)

These were chosen because they all start with the top-level Premier League at about the same competitive level: most clubs there are at 4.5 stars out of 5, with a few at 5 and a few at 4. There is some randomness to it but these elite nations will ensure that we have some serious opposition when getting to the top; being in Europe ensures the continental cups will have a varied amount of tough competition as well. The selected clubs are naturally the worst ones in the Amateur League of each nation; if you pick a powerhouse like Barcelona or Chelsea, etc. it'll just set them down to Amateur level as well so it doesn't affect the starting conditions, but I want those familiar names to be there waiting for us when we ascend. We're taking a real low-level club here.

Ground Rules

These are pretty much the same as always, but are worth stating so we're all on the same page. Or at least in the same library, as it were.

1. No knowledge of or familiarity with the game is required. Feel free to ask questions; I intend to explain game concepts for the uninitiated.

2. All decisions are given 48 hours, after which things will proceed. This attempts to strike a balance between allowing everyone to have a life and not have to check the forum every day to participate, and keeping events moving. I also try to put the most important stuff up earlier in the week as many aren't around on the weekends.

3. Anyone who fails to respond to three consecutive choices is removed from the game. Same reasons really as #2; these projects depend on participation, so your players will be assigned to another coach if you aren't contributing. You can have them back for the asking by signing up again at any time.

And that's it for now! We'll get going after there's been some time for some initial signups to(hopefully) percolate and we've got a choice for the starting nation & club!

Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote