View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #459
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Top Ten Rankings Update

1(T). Girish Girsh(SRI, 27) -- 12,120
1(T). Antonin Iglar(CZE, 30) -- 12,120

Anybody's guess who is on top from week to week, but right now it's Girsh. By the time the AO is over though, it's highly likely Iglar will have seized the reigns again. I expect a certain amount of jockeying back and forth here between these two over the next couple of years.

3. Gustavo Caratti(ARG, 27) -- 9,920

The youngest member of the Big 4, Caratti has reached new heights here by edging out Mehul. I think this is probably as high as he goes, but we'll see. As the new, unquestioned King of Clay, Gustavo should remain among the best of the best for at least a couple years.

4. Anil Mehul(SRI, 30) -- 9,825

He could see a rebirth of sorts this year; I think Anil has more left than he showed last season. But this is still close to right for him. He's not good enough to be the best anymore, but still clearly among the top contenders. Another year or two, and he may slip further but I don't think that happens anytime soon. There's nobody ready to take him down any further. It's a long way to ...

5. Pierce Gaskell(USA, 30) -- 4,670

Like a resistant weed, Gaskell just won't go away.

6. Mugur Kinczllers(ITA, 27) -- 4,385

Kinczllers still hangs around and on his day, he can be a threat to anyone on a hardcourt surface.

7. Bjorn Benda(DEU, 32) -- 3,910

On his way down, and quickly.

8. Theodore Bourdet(FRA, 25) -- 3,855

Bourdet could take over the 'best of the rest' spot in 5th this year. He hasn't a prayer of rising above that for some time though in my opinion.

9. Elias Trulsen(SWE, 27) -- 3,495

Trulsen could have been fairly special had he not devoted too much time to doubles. Looks like he's headed that way again, so we may not see much more of him.

10. Thiago Herrera(PER, 29) -- 3,420

Slowly giving way to the youngsters.

The bottom of this list have taken some territory from those in the middle of it, but the big story continues to be the Big 4's dominance. It's the exception rather than the rule when they fail to be the last group standing in the semifinals of a big tournament. It looks like that pattern may well continue.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote