View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Notes from Season II

1. Batsmen dominated the fledging UCL in its second full season, with the total of runs increasing markedly, and number of wickets falling. The highest individual score of the season was a mammoth 222 not out by Robbie Nilsson of LA, beating the previous best of 195 not out set by Malcolm Wagner (Las Vegas) earlier in the season.

2. The number of centuries (individual scores of 100 or more) rose from 52 in Season I to 98 in Season II.

3. The instances of bowlers taking four wickets or more in a match fell from 47 to 38.

4. Dallas's first pick of the draft was Oliver McCallum, who went on to become an absolute phenom in his first season, scoring an average of 96.06 runs each time he batted. McCallum also broke the record for most centuries in a season (10, shared with Malcolm Wagner who also broke the record).

5. Quality all-rounders (players who are good at both batting and bowling) are few and far between in the UCL but Josh Wallace was the standout performer by far. The Gamblers star scored 1624 runs with the bat and also took 23 wickets. Other worthwhile contributors included Connor Attwood of Florida (batting average of 24.6 with 45 wickets), Jake Sutton of DC (batting average of 33.7 with 39 wickets) and James Deacon of Florida (batting average of 22.3 with 37 wickets).

6. Las Vegas hit on a good prospect in the draft with Michael Jones. Drafted seventh overall (Florida passed on their picks), Jones went on to take 58 wickets with the ball at a misely average of 20.1 (the lower the bowling average is, the better).

7. Oliver McCallum and Michael Jones were named the UCL Young Players of the Year. The award is given to the best batsman and best bowler under the age of 21. McCallum becomes the third Mustangs player to win the award after Dane Torgersen and Connor Attwood both won the award in Season I.

8. McCallum was a close second for UCL Most Valuable Batsman but ultimately lost out to Malcolm Wagner of the champion Las Vegas Gamblers. Also pressing a strong claim was Christian Joseph of the Chicago Barons. Wagner is the second Gambler to win the award after captain Sam Hill did so in Season I.

9. Kyle Watts of the Chicago Barons was a close winner of the UCL Most Valuable Bowler, edging out team-mate Ben Hall, who joined the Barons after spending the first season with the New York Emperors. Hall's former team-mate Matthew Baldwin was the first recepient in Season I.

10. Retirements will shortly be announced, followed by Trade Weekend, where team managers meet to discuss potential trades ahead of the draft.

11. The draft order for the Season III draft has been established:
  • LA
  • NY
  • PHX
  • PHX (from DC)
  • FLO
  • DAL
  • CHI
  • LSV
  • LA
  • NY
  • PHX
  • DC
  • FLO
  • DAL
  • CHI
  • LSV
The draft will consist of two rounds, after which players will be cut from rosters and claimed off waivers by any teams who do not have the full roster of 11 players. Phoenix have DC's pick in the first round due to a trade made before last year's inaugural draft.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote