View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

(Using this as a jump-off point.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In general, people are pretty resistant to new information, especially if it involves stopping doing something they like. Look at smokers, for instance. From what I've seen, the evidence is pretty compelling in support of a plant-based diet. In my case, in just 4 weeks, I've lost over 10 pounds merely by switching to mostly fruits and vegetables from what was previously a meat-filled diet. I haven't been sitting around hungry. I haven't been counting calories. I've just been eating fruits, vegetables, and nuts when I'm hungry. I also dropped soda, which I'm sure gets credit for some of the weight loss.
I think I agree with most of the facts behind this trend. I'm not going to set an unreasonable goal for myself by going fully onboard, but I'm willing to accept that eating meat and dairy is kind of like drinking alcohol - in that I know it's not good for me, but when I do it occasionally it's because I enjoy it and I should treat it as a treat. That being said, I'm a somewhat poor, irresponsible, time-pressed mid-20's person who can't make it to Whole Foods and prepare a 30-minute meal every day. So along the lines of QS's suggestion of buying the 5 gallon drums of oatmeal to replace eating (almost certainly sugar-filled) cereal with milk, what are the ways I can ease into this lifestyle?

- Is there a certain place to buy nuts cheaply in bulk I don't know about?
- Are there particular fruits I should be going after (I've tended toward bananas, clementines and apples for convenience/familiarity.)
- Are there any vegetables that taste good, or certain combinations I should try? (I realize how ridiculous a statement that is for a man my age, but for various reasons I never ate many growing up.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-21-2012 at 07:05 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote