Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #168
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
For two players, my favorites lately are Battle Line and Balloon Cup. Gotten a lot of mileage out of Ticket to Ride (creating your own boards and card sets is a lot of fun and can significantly change the dynamic).

Our group has been playing Dominion constantly lately. Just the original set and Intrigue. It's amazing how much that game can differ, depending on whether good attack cards are on the table. I think Dominion works best with three players, though it's still quite viable with two.

I introduced Puerto Rico to the group, they didn't like it. They like Pandemic, I don't - seems too much like clock solitaire where everything's all about the initial shuffling of the bad cards.

We still play Settlers, though it has its limitations. One recent favorite is Thurn and Taxis.

I have to say that I have been utterly floored with how well designed Dominion is. Such a simple concept (money, action and victory cards, act, buy, discard phases) that has endless flexibility and customization. I have yet to try a 1-on-1 match, but our 3 player games are intense and a hell of a lot of fun. I can't wait to add Intrigue to our games. How do you all set up your card sets? We have been using a deck of one of each card and randomly dealing out 10 of them to create our set-up, but occasionally have games that are simply annoying (mainly when there's a witch without a moat, chapel or remodel in there to get rid of/prevent the curse cards).

I'll have to look into Battle Line and Baloon Cup - I haven't come across either of them yet browsing the boardgames reddit or board game geek.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote