View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #56
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I just saw your route for that on Strava.. Man that looks like a fun course! Should make for a real good time in that race. I learned the hard way though on the fast downhills that what Jonathan Savage says is absolutely correct.. we all train for the uphills, but we never train enough for the downhills. On my recent 5 mile race, it was the downhills that I couldn't handle fast enough.

Hope you have a good time with this one though (and hopefully the weather stays cool enough for you still into June).

yeah, had saved a screenshot of it and was gonna share it in due time but here it is. Even comparing it to the long downhill portion of my half marathon this one seems to have an even greater elevation loss over the 10 km, and I had a 10K stretch done in 41:38 during that HM. I'm thinking I could push toward 41:00 and maybe even faster, especially considering I will be gunning it to leave about nothing in the tank after 10 km...

I also like the fact that the downhill doesn't start until maybe 1.5 km into the 10K. This means I'll be pushing hard to start, then will lower the HR as we start going down.

You are right about the fact that we, usually, train very little our downhill running ability. When I first shared the course of my HM to my running friends on Lose It, many recommended me to training running downhill. If you remember, my treadmill is capable of going at -3% decline and I did many little runs at that setting, then did a long run right on the HM course, at about race pace over the downhill portion. I won't go run on that 10K course but I'm confident that I'll be able to run downhill with power.

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg descente royale.jpg (192.1 KB, 59 views)