World Team Cup Level 2 Quarterfinals
Sri Lanka vs. New Caledonia -- Hardcourt

Monday: A. Mehul d. B. Ratnasabapathi, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0
Tuesday: G. Girsh d. B. Ruchika, 6-1, 6-4, 6-2
Wednesday: A. Mehul/G. Girsh d. B. Ruchika/X. Houssaye, 6-0, 6-1, 6-2
Thursday: A. Mehul d. B. Ruchika, 6-2, 6-2, 6-0
Friday: G. Girsh d. B. Ratnasabapathi, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0

Sri Lanka beats New Caledonia, 5-0!

I expected a fairly easy win coming in, but that was before I remembered that the New Caledonia #2 had been prematurely retired as a trainer. As it turned out, they didn't have a remotely adequate replacement, making the result a foregone conclusion in retrospect. What's that, you've never heard of Biju Ratnasabapathi? Well, neither had I. He was a whopping 995th in the rankings, never a whole lot higher than that, a combination of completely sucking and having been abandoned by his manager a la Chittoor. Won a total of seven points -- not games, points -- against Mehul. When he's your second-best, you have problems, and even Ruchika is sinking now at 33 years old. New Caledonia will be lucky if they are a Level 4 nation in a few years at this rate. They are in free-fall, riding the coattails of a past that no longer is relevant at 11th in the world.

So we're into the semis, +5 to 33rd in the rankings, and assured of our first-ever spot in a playoff to reach the elite status of Level 1! Austria is a possible opponent there, but I put that out of my mind for now. Luxembourg, led by Mikaila Groeneveldt, presently 17th in the world, will be our next obstacle in a couple of weeks. Mehul will have an off week to prepare, while Girsh needs some match practice so he's headed to the big Tashkent challenger. It's a Tier '+' event, the 125-point level, sort of the Masters level of the Challenger circuit.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote