View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #527
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

World Team Cup, Group 3, Third Round
Sri Lanka(1st) vs. China(34th), Hardcourt

The mismatch by which all mismatches should be judged.

Monday: A. Mehul d. Y. Dun, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2
Tuesday: G. Girsh d. L. Chen, 6-0, 6-0, 6-1
Wednesday: S. Ujjaval/H. Ganeshwaran, 7-5, 6-2, 6-2
Thursday: G. Girsh d. Y. Dun, 6-1 , 6-0, 6-3
Friday: A. Mehul d. L. Chen, 6-0, 6-3, 6-1

Sri Lanka defeats China, 5-0!

That was rather expected, although I was a bit surprised by the doubles -- I thought that would at least be closer. Either way, we're into the quarterfinals undefeated, as things should be. Combined with juniors results, we've still lost ground so far to the six nations behind us, with Germany making a particularly strong move. That's always going to happen this time of year though, we'll be ok as long as we keep winning.

We get the lowest-ranked quarterfinalist next; Croatia on clay. Sava Cirakovic(20th) is a quality clay player so he'll be the toughest probably, with Cojanovic(25th) as well. They are definitely on the rise but I don't anticipate them being able to give us a major challenge. Probably a 4-1 score there with a doubles loss, 3-2 at worst. France and the US have a tough draw to face each other, with Argentina-Czech Republic and Sweden-Italy the other two pairings.

Also, we faced the United States in the Junior Quarterfinals the following week. I must say Ritwik Dudwadkar acquitted himself well. He had to go the distance to rally from 2-1 down against 18th-ranked Sanley Vender, then lost the first set but took the next three against worn-out #10 Vinnie Cone. Unfortunately he was the only success for us in a 3-2 loss that moved the United States to within just 86 points of us in the world rankings -- we led them by over 200 at the start of the year.

Coming Up ...

Mehul and Mooljee head to Monte Carlo, while Girsh will skip the event -- the only one of the top players who is doing so this year. It figures to be a strong field.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-11-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote