View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Rankings Update

Before I get to the WTC, the first quarter of 2038 is in the books now and here's what's changed at the top of the sport.

1. David Almagro(ESP) -- 10,520

Overtook Alastra with a runner-up finish at the AO and hasn't given up the top ranking since. He won a 500 event in Rotterdam and went out in the semis at Indian Wells and Miami, good enough to maintain his #1 status but not good enough to open a gap on the field.

2. Gabriel Alastra(ARG) -- 9,770

A shocking quarterfinal exit at the AO to Jens Oberg dropped him to third, and his results since were underwhelming until a runner-up finish last week in Miami.

3. David Prieto(ESP) -- 9,640

Prieto has been the best player so far this year, champion at the AO and Miami, with a couple of 250 titles to go with it. He hasn't added all that much to last year's results though, largely due to an early fourth-round exit in Indian Wells.

4. Mick Elder(USA) -- 8,670

Elder is making good on his goal of challenging the Big Three, already having added more than a thousand points to his total and nearing striking distance. It didn't help that he lost early at the AO(4th round) but he's got three smaller titles to his credit(Brisbane, Auckland, and Memphis). He also won at Indian Wells and made the semis in Miami. Last year's clay results were pretty good, so he'll be hard pressed to improve too much on them.

5. Oliver Challenger(USA) -- 6,960

A casualty of Elder's rise to make the Big Three now the Big Four or at least about to be, Challenger is down to 5th and no longer the top US player.

6. Bjorn Benda(DEU) -- 5,370

Up from 9th and about 900 points added, Benda continues to be the top hope of the next generation. The future for him is very, very soon after a run to the IW finals.

7. Spasoje Kucerovic(SRB) -- 5,040

8. Jens Oberg(SWE) -- 4,695

A signature upset over Alastra at the AO was impressive -- it's not often that a 23-year-old knocks off the reigning king at a Slam event. Like Benda, Oberg is on the rise and he's several months younger. He's up two spots from 8th over the first quarter.

9. Perry Hogue(USA) -- 4,685

At the beginning of the year I called him 'the best of the next generation'. He didn't make any progress though, so maybe I was wrong. Is he a flash in the pan that has peaked already? He's been consistent, but hasn't been able to break through by getting past the semis in any of the big events. I'd say the jury's still out here.

10. Eric Gorritepe(ESP) -- 4,360

How the mighty have fallen. It would appear the unquestioned GOAT has reached the point of irrelevance this year. It happens to everyone eventually, and he's closer to 33 now than 32, no longer a major threat on the biggest stages.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote