View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #163
PilotMan
Head Coach

1988 Reflections on this Team

For years LA has been a top notch, title contender and we've not seen a title come here. This year, we lost a lot of power out the door, brought in some older, past their prime players, and took a step back in overall quality. The Farm system is dry and there is not much there to play with either. So how does the team with the #1 payroll and #1 budget do this poorly?

I'll tell you. Money wasted. Players wasted. Talent wasted.

Of the top 10 paid players on the team take a look at how that money was wasted:

#10 Larry Parrish – 34 games, 30 at bats. 161 at bats in 3 years. 0.2 WAR, 3 years
#9 Jim Beattie – LA signed him for a big deal 5 years ago, and we've got 1 year to go. 0.2 WAR 3 Yrs
#8 Mike Schimidt – His deal is vested for another year. 0.2 WAR
#7 John Denny – Got a 6 year deal, with 1 remaining. 15.8 WAR 5 years
#6 Fernando – At the end of a 6yr deal. This dropoff makes him resigning unlikely. 34.5 WAR 6 years
#5 Roy Smalley – At the end of a 6yr deal. Only 1 as starter. 7.3 WAR 6 yrs
#4 Dwayne Murphy – 1 yr remaining on a 6yr deal. Only 1 as starter. 10.2 WAR 5 yrs
#3 Von Hayes – 5 yrs remaining on a 6yr deal. Top player on team in '88. 6.7 WAR 1 yr
#2 Bryn Smith – 2yrs remaining on a 3 yr deal. #2 pitcher in '88. 3.4 WAR 1 yr
#1 Rickey – 3yrs remaining on a 5yr deal. Can opt out this year. 11.0 WAR 2 yrs

Some god awful waste there. I'm scared for how much more waste there will be going forward.

I wonder if next year will be this bad? I don't have high hopes, there's still a lot of waste, but having the deepest pockets in the league does allow us to just buy our way out. Let's just hope there isn't crazy waste again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote