View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #206
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Jimmy G to the Pats would be so much fun but apparently is SF is willing to keep him for a year, and the Pats no longer have unlimited cap space. I'm sure that's posturing to some degree, but I hope something can be worked out. It is meant to be.

Edit: Also, I don't understand NFL contracts, but apparently cutting Jimmy G this year makes a lot of sense for SF. They'd only have $2.8 million in dead cap space, where if they keep him, obviously he has that massive contract. So maybe that's his clearest path to New England. I don't know where else he would be a starter. There's not a lot of teams he'd be a clear upgrade for. I understand the appeal of having a "veteran" QB when you draft a rookie but, do you really want or need one with a $25 million cap hit?
I just saw a post from djbayko at sonsofsamhorn.net It listed all of the QBs who were top 5 draft picks since 2001. Only 2 out of 27 didn't start games in their 1st year. 19 started over 10 games. So if SF keeps Jimmy G as their starter, it would be a notable exception.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote