View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #232
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Through various coincidences of timing, I had a lot of opportunity to listen to podcasts and otherwise consume draft content, specifically about the big 3 QBs. I will, so I can come back to laugh at my wrongness later, give my current thoughts on them.

TIER 1

1) Trevor Lawrence--The guy who's been the consensus #1 overall pick since his first game as a true freshman is the best QB in the class. Go figure. Perhaps the best testament to just how much of a no-brainer this pick is is the fact that no one is really even talking about it. People can't even pretend that anything other that him going #1 to Jax makes sense.

2) Justin Fields--His stock is falling. But I don't see it at all. He's a Taysom Hill who can throw. He's a Lamar Jackson with size. He's got all the tools you want, and he wins at a top-5 program. The buzz is that teams are concerned about processing speed, but several people who watch film say that the tOSU offense is designed to have late-developing routes and reads. So are we really going to penalize this guy for running his team's offense? I think that if it were a team other than the Jets at #2, there wouldn't be an issue of him dropping past that pick.

TIER 2

3) Trey Lance--I really like him. Super smart. Physical tools. Not quite at the level of the top two above. But I'm a big fan. The best thing for him would be to end up on a team like the Falcons, Patriots, Steelers, Washington, etc. where he can sit behind a vet for a year and then take over next season. There's some smart teams on that list I just gave, so I'd not be shocked for him to end up in a place like that.

TIER 3

4) Zach Wilson--Where I differ from the consensus the most, I think. The dude is small, but he does not have the elite speed/agility skills to keep from getting hit. I could see a lot of weeks where he is "Questionable--ribs" I also admit to some prejudice here. He has the perfect QB name. And he's got the golden boy QB look. But it's all just a little too perfect for me. You know the last guy I thought would succeed because he had the perfect name and look for a star QB? Mark Sanchez.

TIER 4

5) Mac Jones--Apparently NFL teams are (and have always been) higher on Mac Jones than the fans and media. Well, I'm a fan who gets my info from the media, so I'm not that high on him. He's Andy Dalton. He's Teddy Bridgewater. He's Jared Goff. He seems like he is set up for a perfectly fine 10+ year career as a decent starter or overqualified backup. Maybe he has that one season where it all comes together and he makes a Pro Bowl. I don't think that he'll be a *bad* QB. But I certainly don't see him with franchise QB potential like the other 4 on this list.

And, of course, because it's the NFL Draft and LOL and no one knows anything, Kyle Trask will probably end up being the best QB in the entire class.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-05-2021 at 09:21 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote