View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #802
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

LOL. I feel even sorrier for you after the final; it could have been you. Or Pargeter, who beat me in the group stage.

So to complete the story of the World Tour Finals, both first-timers bow out in the semis after doing very well to get there. Hamal Sbai takes the first set against Ritwik Dudwadkar, but it got worse for him as the match wore on. Despite a 14-7 ace edge he falls 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Stuart Pargeter got himself good and truly stomped by King Kaspar in the earlier matchup. Which sets up Dudwadkar's first-ever final in this event … and he ends Mateo Kaspar's reign of terror and bid for an even more ridiculous legacy, 7-6(6), 6-4! Only 11 total aces and one break of serve in the entire match, six points separating the players but Ritwik deserved the win, being a little more effective in his return games than Kaspar was. First tour finals title at 29. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. That'll make it a lot easier to hold on to his position.

At the end of the year, Kaspar will still have about a 2,000-point lead over Dudwadkar, a little less than that back to Prince Karl. Sbai(4th) and Pargeter(5th) also strengthen their grip on those positions, putting a bit of distance between themselves and the rest of the Top 10. Chiba is 11th, ready to pounce on any stragglers. Usual end-of-year writeup in a few days but it promises to be an interesting 2060 season. This was definitely a most unexpected result.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-08-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote