View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #908
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

April

I missed Q1, but I'm hoping to the usual normal and race rankings stuff after Wimbledon - if somebody doesn't beat me to it first

Short version is the bottom has fallen out for Sushant Chiba. Aside from the Australian, this entire year has been a disaster for him. Not only is he slowly declining, but he's also in a serious slump. Early losses at Monte Carlo - eventually won by third-ranked Brian Meikeljohn and then at the Barcelona 500 the week after drop him to 20-8 on the season. That's a .714 winning pct, which would be the worst of his career. At ANY level. The last couple of years he's won about 81% of his matches. As we head into the meat of the clay season, he has a chance to make some hay at Madrid where he lost early last time. If he can't do that, and keeps playing the way he has been, Chiba will soon start falling. As it is, Meikeljohn and Molyneaux are only a few hundred points behind.

Amrik Kasaravalli lost both his matches, both of them competitive, in a 3-2 loss against Thailand that ensured we'd once again lose in WTC group play. Russia won the group with three victories, everyone else won once, so Sweden advances, Thailand is in the relegation playoff, and we are just done. The final match against veteran Chalerm Prachuab, ranked 39th, is one I won't soon forget. Kasaravalli led 6-4, 7-6(3), then won only eight combined games in a total choke job the rest of the way to lose in five. One more set from him and we were in the quarters. His serve ... wasn't there, with as many double faults as aces (8 apiece). Guh. After that he took a few weeks off to rest, and is back out there next week for another challenger.

Nasir Chittoor has just been training - this is his last week of that before what I hope will be his final amateur. Satyagit Guha played another solo amateur in Rosario last week and proved once again he can't do it without his buddy. Upset loss in the third round in doubles, was unlucky to be matched against the top seed in singles, bowing out at the first hurdle there. He's good enough now to make a modest run in amateurs given the right draw, but still needs luck for that to happen. Maybe next week.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote