View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #52
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

A death unmourned, part 4

January 25, 1946.

Mr. Rickey:

I must protest in the strongest terms the theft of Newark Eagles Leon Day and Ray Dandridge by your organization. In all my years in running a baseball club, I have never been witness to such egregious disrespect.

The theft by you and your organization of some of our top players has greatly endangered the livelihood of thousands of American Negroes. It is not enough that you steal our players, but you have also seen fit to uproot the Kansas City Monarchs, one of the top clubs of Negro baseball. It appears you will not be satisfied until our organizations; our investments will be rendered valueless.

The Newark Eagles demand compensation for the above ballplayers, and any players you may see fit to take from us in the future. For Day and Dandridge the sum of $20,000.00 will be acceptable to end this matter before we are forced to take legal action.

Yours,

{Signature} Effa Manley {End of signature}

Branch Rickey,
Kansas City, Missouri.

----------------------------
Ruppert Stadium
Kansas City, Missouri

January 29, 1946.

Mrs. Manley:

The Kansas City Blues are more than willing to compensate any organization we acquire players from; however, neither of the players you have named were under contract with your club. In fact, Mr. Day has stated the arraignment with the Eagles was informal and only veiled verbal assurances of compensation were made.

I would also like to note our organization did provide the owners of the Kansas City Monarchs compensation for the contracted players of theirs we signed.

If you can provide a signed contract for Mr. Dandridge and Mr. Day, we will gladly pay the fee you have suggested.

Yours,

{Signature} Branch Rickey {End of signature}

Effa Manley,
Newark, New Jersey.