View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #60
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

The Legend of the Perfesser, part 2

"Well, I've been just as good as the player I have had; Dodgers and Braves have never been known for spending money, as least not when I was there. Overall I'd say I was 10-12 games better than the players that I had under the terms of my employment with my former team. Which is to say without me, they would have been worse than they were."

"I understand you can make a bad team better, but how Mr. Stengel? What do you do?"

"Well, say you got a lefty pitching, then I bring in a righty to swing since this is what John McGraw used to do back with the Giants. It is doing the opposite of what the other guy wants you to do, because that is what you should do; unless of course, you don't have the man who can do the job, then I just go by my instinct. See Mack, we'd call him Mack-never to his face mind you, no, it was always Mr. McGraw to his face, but it was Mack when we just talked amongst ourselves, Mack would put me in the best position to succeed, unless he thought the other guy was better than me, then Mack would use him and not me, but usually me instead."

"So, you play percentage baseball, then?"

"Well, any amount you do of anything is a percentage, even if it is zero."

"I see. Well. What do you think you can accomplish here in Oakland?"

"Who is on the roster?"

"That's not settled yet."

"Then I can't answer your question."

"Every other man I've interviewed has talked about winning the PCL pennant."

"Every other man you have interviewed is a liar. Look, you should finish at least 6th because there are two teams getting late starts putting a team together. I don't know how much better I can make them beyond that, unless you let me know who I have to work with."

"I have the provisional roster here."

"Hmmmm. Too many kids, not enough pitching. With this roster I can finish 6th. Get me another starter and a catcher who can hit, we can finish over .500. I'll have to watch them play before I can tell you what we'd need to win it all."

"So, all you can promise is 6th place? That is best you can do?"

"In all honesty, yes. But without me, you'll finish last."

[Honestly, I don't care for this post, but we must keep moving forward]

Last edited by SelzShoes : 04-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote