View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #68
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

Drinks with Dizzy, part 2

Yeah, I guess I’ve been a little quiet tonight—only told you guys 10 stories instead of my usual 12. Well, I got an invitation to spring training—wait, wait, don’t raise those glasses to me yet. I’ll be dammed if it isn’t just a piss-ant little Coast League team. Phoenix. That’s right the middle of the f-----g dessert. And get this—it isn’t even a invite to the, well, I guess ‘major league’ camp, if the Coast League could have such thing. Yeah, they want me to maybe make a minor league’s minor league. Can you believe it? I told them I needed to think about it, cuz, well, I’m not spending any more time than I have to working for a roster spot. If I don’t have it in March, I’m not gonna have it in June. No I don’t know what I’m gonna do. Rickey wants me to come to Kansas City to do radio; NBC wants me to do a show and this Phoenix team might want me to pitch. Huh? Man, I thought at least Columbus would want me, with the veter’ns they signed, they’d surely have a slot to give ol’ Diz a shot, wouldn’t you think? Hell, I’d rather freeze my n—s off in Minnesota or Buffalo than swelter in Arizona. God, it’s bad enough in the summer here in St. Louis, can’t imagine how miserable it’d be in August out there. I’m so ready to pitch again, and not just exhibitions neither. But, I don’t know if I want it that bad. Radio sure looking purdy good to me now. Well, I can always go to camp, and if it doesn’t work out, do the Kansas City or NBC thing. Man, I thought once I decided to pitch, it would be easy to go down that road again, but man, it’s always sumthin!