View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #1302
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Dude it's a gangland execution. Sorry but it's not a bunch of innocent 1st graders being gunned down by a psychopath.

Agreed.
Just to further that point, how many school shootings are a result of gang violence?
How do we define gang?
How many mass shootings are a result of gang violence?
Are the neo nazi/aryan brotherhood types not just gangs. As much as the bloods or the crips?

Warning the following statement will completely oppose what some here think of me.
I think there is a media bias to the death of white kids. For whatever reason 'white kids gunned down at school' generates eyeballs, it generates shock value.
I think its one of the poignant yet simple things Eminem rapped about (damn has it really be nearly) 20 years ago.

'Middle America? Now its a tragedy. Now its sad to see. An upper class city having this happening'

When it was blacks shooting blacks it doesnt sell. That may be sad, but true.

On the flip side of the coin, cops shooting white folks doesnt sell or outrage. Cops shooting black people does.

Despite everyone saying they have no prejudice, society as a whole does stereotype and we prove it by what we consume. Trust me, if tens oof thousands tuned in to see the latest updates on St Louis gang shootings...CNN would send an armored news van to record the shit. But the truth is we would not watch in large numbers. Large swaths of the country would just say 'Its just blacks shooting blacks what do you expect'

So it doesnt garner any attention.

Another thing I've thought about a lot recently, and Ive never read this mentioned anywhere.

I wonder if school shootings are up, in some small part, because thats the only place kids see each other.
When I was in high school after school all the guys went to the rec and played ball or down to the armory and played ball and the gamers gathered at each others house and played games or at the mall and the arcade.

Now gamers play online, my son is a 3 sport athlete and outside of organized sports I bet he hasnt played pick up 5 times in his 4 year high school career. That was any given week for my generation.

I remember in high school there was 1 murder I knew of. (Ive talked before about others I grew up with in boarding or foster who I lost but they were either went to different HS or happened in junior high) it happened at the armory mentioned above during a basketball game. Two dudes were fighting over some stupid girl and one stabbed the other. Today that probably happens at school because they dont see each other anywhere else.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote