View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #348
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Thanks for all the advice! I'm finally getting the hang of things, I think. Played out my previous 3 games and won all 3, the last two by double-digits. Not even doing it with my dominating PF, either, as he really doesn't like to get into position to take shots. Still puts up 20-8 type numbers, but when he's getting into position he gets 30-12 and makes it look easy. Averaging 3 guys in double-figures which is awesome.

Now that my whole team is almost all guys that I recruited (save for 2 of them) it's a lot easier to get attached to the game. Even the scrubs that come off the bench have certain things that they do well.

The last two games the team I played had one dominating player and nobody else scoring in double-figures so I decided to tight double them always and simply take them out of the game. It was awesome how it works, but the CPU still was finding the open man. Fortunately my strategy went just as planned and those scrubs missed their open shots (and we cleaned up on the glass). One thing that has made a big difference for me this year is having a SF (listed as a PF, but only 6'-5") that can rebound (he doesn't dominate the glass, but gets to all the ones that he is supposed to). Also love having a couple 6'-10"+ bigs that regularly fill in off the bench to just bang down low.

Can't wait until next season when my best recruit ever comes in (a 6'-4", 200lb dribble-drive point guard... should be a man amongst boys in my weak Big Sky conference) and my whole team has more experience. But, we're 3-1 in the conference this year and I want to see if I can't make a run at things so plan on playing out the rest of the games.

I like how recruiting works in this game. You're given few enough points that you can't just "max" everybody out. Also, you can't come out of nowhere to steal a guy. On the other hand, if you work them hard for a long time you can get someone out of your league. But you do it at the expense of some of your other non-reach players. Good balance, it seems (with a slant toward allowing the user to get good players... nothing wrong with that IMO, especially for closed legacy). Also like how in my small Big Sky conference the teams are very regionally-based (with some notable exceptions).

What's the best method, that you've found, for driving to the basket? (it seems like that is what Hannan's game is built around?)

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 04-20-2008 at 07:03 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote