View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #19
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Day 7: Burlington to Keokuk
Last day.

Left before sunrise. I didn't take many pictures or stop more than needed, since as soon as I finished I had to start the long drive back to Pennsylvania. Day 7 was about finishing as quickly as possible.

The day soon turned sunny and warm. The first 20 miles just retraced the prior day's route in the opposite direction. Not sure that ever happened before, and it made the day seem longer. Usually the first 20 miles go quick, but on Saturday it made it go slow as it was the same scenery I saw the day prior.

A solid headwind that would last all day kicked in as well. Didn't matter what direction we turned, the wind adjusted and turned to face us, somehow. I didn't think that was possible, but it happened.

Eventually the route brought us back to the Mississippi River at Montrose Iowa, with about 10 miles to go. I assumed this would be a nice flat ride along the river into Keokuk.

Wrong.

Although the road ran alongside the river generally, it sometimes turned inland for a tiny bit and climbed some of the bluffs. After 60 miles, and seeing the time getting later and later, I was 'very @#$&@#& pleased' with this last surprise.☹️

I finished the day, and the week, shortly thereafter. Loaded all my gear into the SUV and started heading East.

I don't know if this year or last year was tougher physically. Time has a way of making you forget the physical challenge, short of a significant injury. Mentally, this year was much more difficult since it wasn't a totally new experience - just a different route to the same end goal of crossing Iowa.

Thanks for following along and the comments. I tried to give a different perspective beyond just reciting mileages and town names.

I'll post some pictures later.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote