View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #76
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's a cute political stance, but it doesn't work in reality. Maybe in the 1800's when going from one state to another required days of travel. When moving was a life changing event. But nowadays, borders hardly matter. Sure States should have their own laws and such on local issues, but there are too many things that can't be done at the state level. We can't have 50 FAAs, 50 FDAs, 50 CDCs, and so on. It's just unreasonable to do things this way when doing them on a federal level is much more efficient.

Paul's stance on the FDA is just stupid. For a guy who actually is a doctor, it's a tad embarrassing. He falls for the "genetically enhanced foods are bad" or "pesticides will kill us all" rhetoric that has almost no scientific backing. He pushes herbal and alternative medicines that again have little to no scientific support.

I'm sure there are things the FDA can do better. But I also realize that for all the food we consume, for all the drugs we take, we don't have a lot of problems. We aren't dropping dead all the time from bad foods, from dangerous drugs, etc. When you go to the store and pick up food, you feel pretty safe about eating it. When you are prescribed a drug, you have a good feeling that it's gone through years of testing before being put in your body. I'm sorry, but I sort of like living in a country like that.

I agree with this. It's a rather large waste of money. I'm not a fan of heroin being sold legally or anything, but do find it quite silly that we care if people are smoking joints in their own home. I'm for people doing whatever they want with their bodies. But I do draw the line at drugs that cause someone to not be able to control themselves and become a danger to society.

Well I personally think #3 (war on drugs doesn't work) and #5 (if drugs were legal I still wouldn't do them) are what makes him right in my mind but it’s hard to argue against the Constitution. (Want to talk about obsolete laws look at how much shit gets shot down due to the way out of date interstate commerce clause). And as far as the FDA and what medicines are legal and aren't... I am not a big believer in tarot cards or physics or chiropractors either but if someone wants to try something outside of the mainstream good luck to them. I will probably stick with my doctor's advice but if my wife had terminal cancer and there seemed to be a practice that the FDA just hasn't received enough bribe money to allow I guess I would be pretty pissed if they told me we could go to jail for trying it. It's funny that taking Xanex because someone is stressed at work is perfectly fine but smoking a joint could lead to jail and/or a loss of their job.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote