View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I've personally witnessed an incident in Colorado not involving humans at all where if the landowner had had an automatic weapon in hand, he might have been able to protect his rather expensive property from an aggressive attacker.

Property = horse
Attacker = charging mountain lion

He shot twice. He missed. There was no time to get off a third shot. The mountain lion maimed the horse to the point where it had to be put down.

I do think people on both sides of this debate forget that Americans don't live in anywhere close to the same situations. THAT guy has a good reason to own an automatic weapon to protect his livelihood. (EDIT: And I would imagine most staunch anti-gun folks would readily concede such a point.) (And yes, the term "assault weapon" is likely very misunderstood by many.)

Unfortunately, I suspect that this is one of those areas where compromise that is acceptable to both sides is virtually impossible.

This guy could have gotten a transferable automatic M16, but the cost would be something like $15k. They are still available to buy, however.

Shitty story though, I'm glad I don't have mountain lions around to worry about

Last edited by stevew : 01-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote