View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
larrymcg421
Head Coach

List Notes:

*Chuck Berry tops the list, which isn't a surprise. This won't be his last time doing that. He is far ahead of everyone else at this point with the guitar.

*Likewise, Little Richard is far ahead of everyone else with the vocals. He is the first really powerful rock vocalist.

*The Little Willie John song was a nice surprise as I hadn't heard of him before, but how can you not love an intro like, "Well, if I don't love you baby/Grits ain't groceries/Eggs ain't poultry/and Mona Lisa was a Man"? I was hooked from the beginning.

*Look at that; a country song at #7! Don't expect many more of those.

*Ray Charles makes the first of what I expect to be many entries.

*The Platters are for sure my favorite Doo Wop group of this era and the vocals on The Great Pretender are especially memorable.

*There's alot of debate over who the first rock star was, but Fats Domino has a pretty good argument to make, with records dating back to 1950, although some point to 1948's "Good Rockin Tonight" by Wynonie Harris as the first rock song.

*Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Gaynel Hodge of the Platters (speaking of Back to the Future, he wrote "Earth Angel") are still alive today.

*In July, "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets (first released in 1954) became the first rock record to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

*Elvis is still doing mostly country this year and I found none of it very memorable aside from Mystery Train, which still wasn't quite good enough to make the list.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote