View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #234
Izulde
Head Coach

So as those of you on Facebook that I'm friends with know, I applied to an East private school's graduate program in HR and while accepted, kept getting dicked around on the assistantship, so I declined the acceptance. It would have been a horrible decision financially and timing wise to go, especially since my interest in the field was only lukewarm anyway.

Since that time I've been applying to pretty much every entry-level public relations job I can find. Got an interview with an agency here in town (I really would rather agency than corporate - I crave the variety), but that's not looking the best prospect right now, as they're taking a very slow pace with it. As in, they won't even decide who to bring back for a second interview until the end of this month.

It's rather frustrating because I remember in 2007, when I was doing my capstone for my English degree, they said that public relations firms really wanted English majors for our writing skills and our well-honed sense of empathy, cultural understanding, and reading and research skills. Fast forward 7 years later, and all the jobs are asking for Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or Business degrees. Hard to believe things have changed that quickly. And I have an Associate's in Marketing at least.

The other obnoxious thing is that almost all of the entry-level jobs want previous internship or full-time experience. I've heard the old joke about that aggravating Catch-22 in the job market, but I never realized until my stint in January and my efforts now just how true it is.

While I could probably go back to adjuncting in the fall at one or both of my previous schools if I had to, I really want to avoid that if at all possible. It'd just be continuing this cycle of misery and poverty, and I feel like I'm reaching that point in my life (I'll be 35 this month) where if I don't make a change now, I'll be trapped in this prison of unhappiness, no money, no friends, no relationships (romantic or otherwise), no anything for the rest of my life.

But I keep trying, and I keep plugging away.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 06-01-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote