View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #235
Izulde
Head Coach

Funny that virtually a year to the day of my last post, I can finally report great news for starting to break away from the wage slavery of adjuncting. I applied to a full-time position at one of the colleges I teach at, but didn't even make it to the interview round. I wasn't too broken up about it, to be honest - A 5/5 teaching load, plus committee and office hour requirements for a decent pay meant an incredible time overload for a monetary level that wasn't really worth it.

I again hit up public relations jobs, only this time I concentrated on internships, which appear to be a necessary requirement for having a realistic shot at a job (interview last year with an agency notwithstanding - and I didn't make the second interview round).

This time I landed an (unpaid) internship with an entertainment company here in town. I start at 10 am, and because it's a small employee roster with a public relations segment that is that, in the words of the CEO "fly by the seat of our pants" at the moment, I have a big opportunity to make a meaningful impact and create something. They're also looking to strengthen their Internet presence beyond its current profile, and are bringing in a couple more people to help beef that up, and want me as part of the team on that project.

I'm being thrown in the deep end as it were - one of my first tasks will be working on one of their national campaigns, which I'm doing research on now. In addition to the usual things like press releases, they want me to devise and implement public relations strategies and campaigns.

It's thrilling, and I feel like I'm finally in a place where I can flex my creative muscle, and as I said, play a pretty key role in the company's operations (as opposed to a larger arena where I'd be a grunt, and might not get as much out of it in terms of accomplishments when going to interview for actual paying jobs).

But it's also damned scary. Still, this is looking like a huge opportunity, and the first break I've been searching for.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote