View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #1154
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Listen to two good interviews today. Cory Booker on Pod Save America was interesting. It really laid out the issue happening right now with the lack of diversity on the top of the polls. It does just come down to older AA voters being completely in on Biden. Harris and Booker were/are both polling in the single digits among blacks. They both are doing poorly among the more liberal oriented young AA (Bernie is winning there). I really like Cory, but don't be surprised if he is out if he doesn't make the debate stage.

Not exactly on this point... but I can't help feeling that the inability of other candidates to break into the Biden hold is a function of simple "who's paying attention to this campaign" at its heart. I could be proven wrong, surely, but I feel like (in this case) a lot of black voters aren't really watching all these 12-person super-early debates, they are mostly driven by name recognition and vague associations... like "he was with Obama."

If that's true, then there easily could be a lot of black voters, and others, who show up in polling today as Biden supporters who, once they plug in and see the candidates who remain viable, and conclude "oh, geez not Biden, what else you got?" And perhaps, some of them will be asking "where are all the candidates of color?" at that point.

Not sure how you could keep it from happening, but an 18 month plus campaign cycle puts most of the attention into the hands of the small share who are deeply committed... lets Twitter Democrats sound like they are The Democrats, and that's pretty rotten (for both parties).

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.