View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2143 SEASON PREVIEW

Editors note: I'm pretty sure after this year, we're going back to 36 teams. I think Louisville, Edmonton, Dayton & a fourth team (either Bakersfield, Hawaii or Portland) are going to be dropped after this season. The reason? I'd just like to consolidate a bit of the talent, I'd like teams to have a slightly more plausible shot at a title and there are some better, more diverse custom schedule options available with 36 rather than 40. I could roll back to 32 or 30 even get even more, but I think 36 is the sweet spot in this league. None of those teams have really distinguished themselves in recent years and Edmonton is the only one to win a title -- back when they were the Texas Electrics -- so it's not as if we're losing a whole lot if I contract them.

[b]PREDICTION: 1st in the NL East (105-57)
SAY GOODBYE TO:
SP Rogelio Zeballos (Traded to West Virginia)
SP Aiden Sweat (Traded to Jackson)
OF Sam Dillard (FA, Signed with Carolina)
C Micah Roberts (FA, Signed with Washington)

SAY HELLO TO:
SP Jimmy Palomares (Trade from Colorado)
SP Tom Smith (Trade from Jackson)
C Frank Sanchez (Trade from West Virginia)
LF Mykal Bradley (FA)
SS Zach Colf (FA)

All season, the Grocers management knew the problem with this off-season was going to be how to replace what was lost while maintaining their core. They did a good job of keeping the core intact, by making deals for veterans with a few years on their deals. With the farm system not once what it was, the team was going to have to firmly remain in "going for it" mode for at least two more years before regrouping. Except with payroll now at around $85m, the team didn't have a lot of leeway for making any huge moves.

Last year's payroll ended the year around $47m because of cash acquired in deals for some of the mid-season acquisitions. In reality, most of the deals were paid in cash for several years by other teams so while payroll reads at around $93m, the GM was careful to get cash for almost all of the guys who came back with big payroll numbers so they're technically being paid for by their previous clubs; taking on about $40m in payroll over 5 years in those trades for Troxler, Harris, Zendajas, et. al.

Nonetheless, that left the team a bit bargain shopping during the off-season. Deft trades were the soup of the day, as one of the best pitching staffs in baseball got better with the acquisition of Jackson's ace Tom Smith (13-13, 3.63 ERA, 227 K) who had a bit of a down year last year and was rumored to be on the trade block. 26-year old SP Aiden Sweat was dealt for him in a package with two other players, but with a team that's trying to win a title contending, there's no time for younger guys who might not be as consistent.

The persistent problem at left field is hopefully solved by the signing of free agent Mykal Bradley from who split last year between New Orleans and Jackson. He had a 4.6 WAR on the year and should hopefully be an upgrade. Not content to roll with that staff, the team also acquired Jimmy Palomares from Colorado. Palomares (8-5, 3.57 ERA, 257K) had a down year last year, but is a strikeout artist who has spent his whole career in Colorado until now. A player to be named later (future 1st rounder) and a package of four prospect pitchers were sent in return for the promising 30-year old who won a ring with the team in '38 and is a two-time all-star.

The loss of NLCS hero Sam Dillard was concerning (6.3 WAR) but his price tag came too high for the team to consider in a long-term fashion. Rogelio Zeballos won a team-high 19 games last year, but was made expendable by all of the moves to the rotation. He was opening day starter for the Grocers last year, but he was sent to West Virginia in exchange for 26-year old catcher Frank Sanchez who is a defense upgrade and had a 3.5 WAR last year.

OVERALL: This team should be better than last year's edition. Xavier Joseph is the 15th overall prospect, but at Age 22 probably doesn't factor into the team's immediate plans. Look for him to get dealt sometime this year in exchange for another bat depending on how they are out of the gate.

Unlike last year, where at one point you needed nametags to identify all of the comings and goings with this team, things should be relatively staid because the pieces are basically in place. There might be a minor move or two, depending on how it goes, but provided there are no critical injuries to offset, the team as composed should be a force once again in the Nationwide League and a favorite to return to the Kerouac Cup Series for the 2nd straight year.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote